Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going from 121" to 136" on my 01 600xc. My question is what else should I be doing when I have the rear skid out and track off? Any routine maintenance or things that should be checked while it is apart is what I am looking for. If there are things I can upgrade or change easily and inexpensively while it's out I might as well do so right? I am also thinking of dropping a tooth to give myself more off the line but not lose too much top end, thoughts on how many teeth and which one without needing to change chains? I am new to this and any advice would be appreciated. Also wondering what a boost bottle is/does and if it's worth it in your opinions. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I think dropping a tooth or even two is good idea. I always gear my sleds to run about 85-90 mph shifted out. It's all I need...

As far as things to do when you put a longer track on... Overhaul the suspension. Remove as much friction as you can. It will really make a difference. Make sure the bearings are in good shape, and lube everything up very well. Also, make sure your shocks are in good operating condition, and your springs are all in good shape.

If you do a lot of deep powder riding, it's not a bad idea to put some drop brackets in the tunnel to let that suspension hang out of the tunnel a little further...Some friends and I have done that with good results.

People will be telling you to put a big-wheel kit on the sled...I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea that it will give you noticable performance gains... some say they do... others say they don't...

good luck!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I change the top gear, the bottom gear or both? If I can keep the same chain that will save me a few bucks... I want to come close to triple digits if I can while getting noticeable gains in hole shot and corner to corner... is that possible with a 600 xcsp? The only other performance mod so far is V Force 3 Reeds that I have purchased but not yet installed. I imagine clutching would be a big step towards my goal? Back to my original question though, any other routine maintenance that is easier to do with the track and skid off?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Check for stress fractures, bent pieces, things of that nature. Thats about all I can think of right now that SortaStock didn't mention.

As far as the Big Wheel Kit, I'm one of those that will say go for it. The gains make sense and I really haven't heard people mention negative things about them. The only downfall I see in them is that you will probably take out those bearings faster, as you are spinning the wheel with that much more speed at the center.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I would not enter a big wheel kit or dropping a tooth into the routine maintenance category, but what I would do is replace the Hyfax, whether they need it or not. Grease everything, and make sure all wheel bearings are good. Once the skid is back in, I would put a bit of locktite on the suspension bolts (they like to rattle loose). Also make sure your hyfax bolts are in tight, so you don't shoot them right off your skid.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Well i did a 136 on my prox 600, it has 24/41 gearing i think stock and i put it back in to see what she would run like when we got some snow, it seemed to run strong. iam going to gps when we get more snow to see how she runs for speed wise, then i will regear if needed. for clutching iam gonna go with blue almond Polaris spring and 60g weights, iam going to leave the secondary alone. but for parts you should replace i would suggest hyfax, check your drive shaft bearing, all your wheel bearing's and rebuild your shocks. There really no gain that you noitce (feel) form a big wheel kit but looks, they cut down on rolling restince but not a amount you will notice.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by Sleds-650
[br]I would not enter a big wheel kit or dropping a tooth into the routine maintenance category, but what I would do is replace the Hyfax, whether they need it or not...
Haha, I think those two were more towards the upgrades category. [:p]

Would he not have to throw on new hi-fax after installing the rail extensions anyways? [;)]

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
id change chainecase bearings all seals and make sure its all lubed up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to change hyfax with the longer rails so I planned on that one... someone told me there are graphic or some fancy material ones.. are they worth it or just the regular ones ok to use? sounds like doing all the bearings and seals I can get my hands on is a good idea... drive shaft bearings, chaincase bearings, wheel bearings... are there any more? How do you tell if a shock needs to be rebuilt? How many are down there anyway?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Graphite Hy-Fax, I've heard they are better. Never tried them though, so I can't give you much info on those. Supposedly they just last longer.

There are 2 shocks in a skid. Best way to check them is while the skid is still in the sled. With the sled on the ground, stand on the back end. See if it comes back up fairly quickly. Also you can lift the back of the sled and see how much it drops. I don't know measurments or anything, it's kind of a judge by the looks type thing. If it really sags and doesn't rebound, rebuild the shocks.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Check out the bearings on the drive shaft. And if they are even somewhat worn replace them when it is all apart. Much easier to do when it's apart and you have time then have to tear down in the winter.

[attachment=49343]

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts