Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for opinions as to what would be the best 'cheap' used sled for kids age 5-6. I don't want to buy a throw-away 120 and plan to limit the throttle. This sled is to introduce them to the sport around the house and limited fields. My original thought is something like a Yamaha Bravo 250, but need other opinions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I bought my son a '78 Arctic Cat Lynx 2000/T. He is 10 but not a real big kid for his age. This is a 275 Twin and is what I would call a mid size sled. Depending if your 6 year old is on the big side, this sled might be good. I paid $475 in pretty good condition for the age of it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
there are also kis sleds, like the mini Z... don't know much about them... and they could be a little small. But you could probably get a good return if you tryed to sell it in a couple of years...

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
243 Posts
I started my kids on a kitty cat. Can't go wrong if you buy it cheep. They learn the skills, can't get hurt bad, and resale is good on the sled. The bigger sleds like the bravo etc. work great, but they can go fast enough and there is enough sled mass that the danger is a lot higher.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realize the danger is higher on a 250 vs. something like Kitty Cat, but I do plan to limit the throttle and slowly let it go faster as they gain experience and get older.

Thanks for the input so far. Keep it coming!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The kitty cats are a good way to go cause you will more than likely get most if not all your money back when you sell it.
However, it is also a good idea to buy something a little bigger and slow it down.
I own a 1981 AC Trailcat, first AC with front independant suspension, trailing arms and all. It is a 440 fan, very light, with a wide ski stance.
They can be hard to find, but the early Indy Trails with independant are very similar, and very reliable with those indestructable 488 fans.
Older sleds without independant can be very tippy.
A cheap way to slow a sled down is to, yes limit the throttle, but also buy a drive belt that is too long so that it will not use the full extent of the clutches,
that way you can just change the belt back and ride it yourself or for a buddy.
You could also gear it down with sprockets and chains but thats messy and expensive, and not as easy to reverse.
My cousin and I used to ride a little Yamaha Enticer 340, we always had a blast on that little sled.
Good luck

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Sorry TR,
I just re-read your 1st post, I guess I skipped over the part about your kids being 5 - 6.
My 5 year old could not handle a large sled yet, I think kitty kat is the way to go.
This is what my 3 kids will be spend this winter in.
/snofan/../images/users/500fasenuf/frontup.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/500fasenuf/side.jpg
Just have to sew the canopy and it will be done.
Kevin

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Don't mean to muddy up your thread TR-2001.....
but man, that sled lookes AWESOME 500fasEnuf!!!!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
if they were a couple years older, i would say something like a Z 370, but a kitty cat or such would be good for their age, altho they will grow out of it quickly, a Z 370 would be to fast for them now, but you could keep it a lot longer, my friend had one, and w/ me on it, bout 130lbs at the time, did 60mph wide open w/ 90 octane in it.....lol.....

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
328 Posts
The best kids sled i have ever seen and is the one i learnt on is a Yamaha Snow scoot. It came in a 125 and 185, it was a great sled, a little tippy on the corners, but was very reliable and hard to get stuck. I even Padled it so that it didn't get stuck in powder to easily.

·
Registered
948 Posts
'80ish Skidoo Citation 3500. it's a 300 single banger. Easy to work on and great potential to grow into.
I know, cuz I've got one!

Careful if you limit the throttel though, subject to burning belts if you dont get them to engage firmly. I know this too cuz that's how the g/f burned my Yami belt out before I blew it up.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well a Yamaha sno-scoot is definitely a great sled for a youngster, but try to find one. Let alone, try to find one that is in good condition for a reasonable price. They still bring around $1000.00. My nephew and daughter both started out driving a kitty cat and then the next sled was a Indy Lite 340. The Indy Lites are light and have a throttle that is very easy to pull. You can adjust the trottle or put a throttle stop on it and they can grow into the sled and have it for years to come. For a mid to late 90's Indy Lite the going price is from $1200 to 1800 depending on model, condition and miles. Just a thought.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well i would say start them off on an older 340. I started off on a Ski-Doo Olympic twin cylinder 340....the 1977 variety. the thing tops out around 55...but the throttle slide can easily be adjusted to slow things down a little bit. It was a nice light sled and personally i think was a great sled to begin with.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I like that idea.
Give them something you can make underpowered, then as they grow older, just adjust the carbs or whatever to make it faster. It'll help keep their "big air" time at a minumum.....
It'll teach them quickly how to avoid getting stuck, and perhaps drive safer.............well, at first.

I grew up learning to ride on a Lil' Whip, fan cooled 340 i think... Long time ago.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I learned on a 1980 Yamaha Enticer 250. We still have it, sitting in the shed. I take it for a rip every now and then. Dad would just let me cruise around the yard. I found it was a good machine to learn on.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
66 Posts
What about an old Ski-Doo Elan? If you can learn to ride that thing you can ride anything.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Polaris-Man:
I learned on a 1980 Yamaha Enticer 250. We still have it, sitting in the shed. I take it for a rip every now and then. Dad would just let me cruise around the yard. I found it was a good machine to learn on.

Ride the Best!
[/quote]

Yeah this was a good sled to learn on.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts