Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title said it all. I've check the compression on my 600 IQ and one was saying 110 the other 115. I gave no more than 8 pulls with the handle crank.

So need some intput on this please, thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Should be around 120psi,hold the throttle open and give it 3-4 good pulls.

·
Registered
511 Posts
As already stated, make sure you hold the throttle wide open when checking the compression. What elevation are you at? Compression will be lower if you are up a ways in elevation.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
try a different quage???

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RMK-KING said:
No, the throttle was not wide open at all. And I'm at sea level so 0-2000 ft.

I'll try that. By the way, what is the idea behind the open throttle?

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
100 psi with throttle wide open. i checked mine today. 100 exactly, each.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
PolarisIQ600HO said:
RMK-KING said:
No, the throttle was not wide open at all. And I'm at sea level so 0-2000 ft.

I'll try that. By the way, what is the idea behind the open throttle?

Thanks
more air.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
FastPolaris said:
That sounds like a gauge fluctuation since they both read the same. Mine is 120 using a craftsman compression guage which is normal for that sled. Holding the throttle open just assures the motor is getting its full air potential giving a more accurate reading.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
FastPolaris said:
hopefully your guage is reading wrong if not your soon in need of a rebuild you want your compression around 120

·
Registered
317 Posts
i don't know. maybe the tester is fucked. i was working on the primary yesterday. i heard a weird noise in the engine when i brought it back to our back garage. i know it should be at 120 brand new. my sled in under warranty until mid january. should i bring it to the dealer and have them look at it? i don't want them to pull it apart to not find anything and me have to pay for all the labor.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Yes, have them check the oil pump cable and cable tube/housing. They have been known to break and cause the sled to not oil properly.
Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i guess i've been doing it wrong all along. i didn't have the spark plugs in the caps and grounded to the cylinder. i'm going do another test tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
FastPolaris said:
i guess i've been doing it wrong all along. i didn't have the spark plugs in the caps and grounded to the cylinder. i'm going do another test tomorrow.
What would that have to do with your compression test?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
RMK-KING said:
FastPolaris said:
What would that have to do with your compression test?
exactly. you don't fast polaris. Simply screw the gauge on, hold the throttle wide open, pull a few times until the gauge settles and there you have it. Make sure your gauge is working properly however.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Might be worth getting it checked out while you are still under warrenty to be safe.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RMK-KING said:
Might be worth getting it checked out while you are still under warrenty to be safe.
I'll check mine tonight!

But guys, if I have 110 and 115, does 5 lbs of pressor between to cylinder is a big deal?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
PolarisIQ600HO said:
RMK-KING said:
I'll check mine tonight!

But guys, if I have 110 and 115, does 5 lbs of pressor between to cylinder is a big deal?
No, there will be slight variation. Those numbers are fine.

·
Registered
910 Posts
my 09 has 120 in both cylinders! whats funny is my 01 600 edge x has 132 in each cylinder...go figure older sled more compression!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts