Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kid just wrecked ours yesterday and split the belly pan and hood. Its all salvageable and I do body work but am not much up on the new plastic repairs. What exactly is a 2000 skidoo hood made of. I know you can use fiberglass if you get it rough enough but something that gets bounced around like that needs the right stuff. I know they make stuff called FUSOR which repairs body panels on cars and they use similar to attach many rear quarter panels with now days. Better than a weld in most respects but like anything else it will only work with compatible products. Whats the stuff called?

Also since this is a simple grind fill, reinforce then feather sand job where do I get the paint number for whatever the weirdass purple paint is they used on a 2000 Formula 500? I almost wish it was busted worse then I would replace it but I am cheap so I will just paint the thing so it resumes looking like a rolling eggplant.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
http://www.ski-doo.com/SkiDooPublic/_Static/archives/english/archives_2000/specs/tech_spec_728_e.htm

this shows the hood material as
MATERIALS
Front Member & Frame Material = Aluminum
Hood = RRIM / Polyurethane
Belly Pan = Impact resistant copolymer
Skis = Plastic (Flex)

·
Registered
539 Posts
yes.
polyurethane.
it takes a good whack to crak up a skidoo poly hood. the kid did a good job ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have used duramix. It was a two part epoxy. I had great success , it been two years and roughly 1300 miles and all good. But this was on a 96 XLT

·
Registered
539 Posts
Polaris never used a Poly hood. the polaris hoods were not as flexible and forgiving as the skidoo poly hoods were.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Originally posted by snoeproe
[br]Polaris never used a Poly hood. the polaris hoods were not as flexible and forgiving as the skidoo poly hoods were.
Well it sure smelled like it when I was sanding it, IDK

·
Registered
12 Posts
i fixed a ski doo one time that had a material i wasnt familier with. I think it was about a 1995. I dont know if this would be the same material but the word METON comes to mind. it came in a large tube with activator. it could be sanded and worked fairly easy. It was the only thing that would work though. I didnt have luck with the fiberglass. as far as the paint, it seems like we ordered it right from ski doo through the dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I smashed up my dads '97 formula 500 a couple years ago and destroyed the belly pan and only put minor cracks in the hood right near the hood straps, we had to replace the belly pan (what a job that was) and my dad just used fiberglass under the hood and that seems to be holding up not too badly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts