Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject pretty much sums up the question. What is the stock track size for '94 Arctic Cat EXT 580? It's not EFI, and i don't believe it's a "Mountain Cat", but i'm not sure how to tell. Anyone know of an easy way to tell?

Unfortunately, I can not just go measure the track, as the sled is kept at a friend's vacation home, a couple of hours away.

What's the deepest lug track i can get away with? Last year (my first year with the sled) I did alot of off-trail riding in deep powder, and got stuck more times than i can count. So this year, I want to put on a deep lug track, and an ATV winch.

Any other helpful hints for deep snow riding?

Mike

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
If it is a Mountain cat it will have a 136" track with either a 1" or 1.25" track I believe.
If it is a mountain cat there will be an extension on the tunnel behind the seat that says Mountain cat. If the bumber is right behind the seat then it is a short track 121".
Powder riding is a learned skill not something that can be explained to easy. It takes a little time to get used to counter steering but once you figure it out its opens up a whole new world.
A 580 EXT mountain cat is a capable machine and should be a good learning platform for mountain riding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a mountan cat. 121 was the number i needed, thanks. I am looking at a 1.375 lug track, 15x121. I hope this solves my problem. I have yet to do much high-speed manuvering in deep powder, i have enough trouble getting moving at all, let alone achieving any reasonable speed!

Will a 1.375 lug track clear on my machine?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Not sure if it helps but I have a '92 EXT 550 M/C and I put on a 136X1.75. I did switch to 8 tooth drivers on the drive shaft but not 100% sure if that was required or not, just seemed easier to do it while the shaft was out anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts