Snowmobile Fanatics banner

What is this in my gas tank?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SnoKing 
#1 ·
Hello there!

New forum user and new snowmobile owner here. I've bought 1998 Polaris Trail Touring. When I brought it home I noticed unexpected item attached with fishing swivel to the gas level stick. My first thought was that it was fuel pickup filter but it doesn't have a connector for the line. Inside it there is a small metal rod. Does anybody know what is it? Is it some sort of placebo like one of those devices that encrease engine power and MPG?

Bumper Metal

See less See more
#2 ·
It is hard for me to say for sure but,
years ago before we had blended fuel and use to add our own alcohol to gas, there
was an after market little"sock" looking thing which this sort of looks like. Water condensate sinks to the bottom of tank and acumulates. Your fuel line sucks gas from the tbottom of the tank. The sock thing collected water and you needed to remove frequently, drain and clean it. I had a name but don't remember what it was. Not needed with today's fuel unless you are burning nonethynol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.