Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...I have a question regarding the kinds of oil used in snowmobiles....Someone I know blew up or seized the engine on his 93 ski doo...his mechanic told him it was the oil he put in it ( he was out of ski doo oil, so he stopped and bought 2 cycle at a hardware store).....
I have never heard of this and thought oil was oil...Does anyone have answers for this and/or reccomendations???
I'm a little nervous about what oil I use now....

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i run amsoil 2 stroke injector oil and it works great and burns clean in my machine. as for your buddy, Ive never heard of that before in my life. unless maybe the oil he bought was thicker then skidoo oil but i doubt that.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I am using ArcticCat APV oil right now, when my warranty is up I'll go back to using Klotz Technaplate. I've used Klotz produces for 15 years and I am happy with it.I don't think your pal should have had a problem with just regular 2 stoke oil, unless it was pre-mix oil which may have a different viscosity, But I Don't Think So.
What was damaged in the motor? Need more clues to the mystery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All of the Sled Co's. have a special blend of oil. I would never recomend using a non specific snowmobile oil. The high end racing oils are great but tend to be a bit more money, I would recomend that if you get into the same problem that you at least use one of the other MFGR's oils.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts