Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sort of stuck with Ski-doo because my uncle owns a shop that sells them, but I like the new Yamaha's.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
really cause the Viper doesn't like everyone. I hope to get my Dad's Viper off him for next season but as of yet I have no ride.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about selling my Summit and getting a Viper just to piss my uncle off. I like the way the Yamaha's look, but Ski-doo's MXZ Revs are pretty cool too.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The Viper is great and as for looks I must say it still just doesn't look real to me :). The suspension and other stuff just been problem after problem though. If I get it from my dad I am gonna put new shocks on the rear at least.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Well like I said the Viper is a really nice sled it just needs mods to be really really great. Hmm REVs are real nice. I would go Viper if you have the money to reshock and add a rear cooler. Though if you ride powder overheating shouldn't be an issue. Yeah I would probably go with the Viper but by a very very very slim margin. I haven't ridden an REV though. I have a real feeling that if I road one I would go towards the REV.

·
Registered
506 Posts
the doo's are nice, but it's really a preferance thing, what kind of riding do you do? like, ditchbanging needs a ditchbanger (REV or Viper) lots of trail stuff @ high speed needs a fast, powerfull sled (Mach, SRX, RX-1) it's totally in how you ride, I would recommend going out and giving them all a "test crack", see what they feel like to ride. I've been riding yamaha forever 'cause my uncle has a dealership, but I don't mind the bombi's at all, there nice sleds, and if I was gonna get anything other than a yamaha, it'd be a mach for sure.

as for the vipers, ya, Sled dog's got it right on, they a really weird sled, like, I've ridden 2 (a buddies, and my uncle's demo) and they feel weird, but are seriosly modifiable, like, my budies (on the race team) was stock when I rode her, and she hauled ass to 140kph, then that was it (that's something like, 90-95mph) and I was really disappointed 'cause I'd ridden an SRX last year, and it hauled hard till the speedo was buried and then some (we radared a stock one at 139mph).

the SECOND time I rode a viper, it was my uncles which he has set up, and the very first thing I did was find a long field that I've been riding forever, I set her up at the fencepost, and just took it like a drag race (I grass drag in the summer) U know the routine sled dog, lean way forward, then pin the hrottle, stifen up the legs and throw yer ass to the back of the sled till U can feel the taillight under yer rump. ANYWAYS, when I pinned it the ski's stood RIGHT up (like, 4 feet off the ground), and before long the speedo was at 199 kph, and it had been hauling hard up to that, so I let off after it stops rising and wonder why it capped like that (couldn't feel it stop pulling) then I realized, the first digit in the speedo is only a 1, so at 199 it's buried. so I was pretty impressed, but it still wasn't an SRX, so I took it down a drifted in fence line that seriosly resembled a part of a snoX track, and this is one of those things that the SRX just wouldn't do, but my god, that viper flies like a dream over the drifts, easy to control your attitude w/ the throttle and break so that U land nice and gentle.

anyways, so ya, vipers are nice for ditchbangin, but they're not straight line rockets, same goes for rev's I would expect. but seriosly, take them for a test drive before you go out and buy either.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
im a low buck vintage rider.
i ride a 1983 polaris indy 600 bigbore kit to 648cc clutch kit decker pipes and tings of dat sort. Also ride a bone stock 1980 Polaris TX-L 340 that rocks. i like that sled more then my 600 about id say 70 pounds lighter then my 600 and just a blast to ride but im buying a newer sled this season if i dont buy brand new.

bobby

My wife said its me or my sleds... Im sure gonna miss her

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i'm a polaris man myself. all the ski doos i've ridden with seem to suffer in the craftsmanship department. i like yammi's, but they don't make a sled to suit my taste- twin cylinder mogul masher. ac's are great sleds too snochic. don't overlook them just because they're pickle colored ;)

'99 XC SP 500
Fox shocks stickers- 15 hp
handlebar hooks/riser- 10 hp
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp
running board/edge grips- 20 hp

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yeah the Viper is a ditchbanger thats why I think it needs new Shocks. Personally it isn't a good cruiser and isn't a good ditch banger. Yamaha was dumb and put like 3" of syrofoam in the seat so it is nice and stiff and uncomfortable but it weighs like 3 oz less than it could. That was a boneheaded move and a half. Even a Ditch banger wants a comfortable ride. Replace the foam put a set of Works Multi Rate coil over shocks all the way around the sled and it becomes not only a better ditch banger but a WAY WAY WAY better cruiser too.

·
Registered
671 Posts
well i got a 94 polaris xlt sp 580. great sled. im really happy with it.

Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I ride different sleds almost every weekend in the winter, all Polaris of course. Lets see I started out this winter on an 01 XC 600 SP, put on 250 miles then went to Island Park, ID and rode an 01 700 141" then came back after putting on 630 miles and rode an 02 Edge-X 600 for a few days. The 01 600 is what i used around here the most though. In most of the pictures some of you may have seen on here I was riding the 01 600.

Loud Pipes Save Lives

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Well, I guess I could say I like Polaris

IMHO, the new REV's by skidoo are butt-ugly. I wouldn't buy one just cuz of their uglyness, I mean, they probably perform very well (as can be told by the snocross track) but I want a sled with at least SOME good looks. Same goes for Blade sleds.

The Viper seems to be an iffy sled, I mostly go by what Sled Dog has to say about them.

I personally ride Polaris and will ride nothing but Polaris. I have a '98 XCR 440 SP, it breaks 100 MPH, which is good enough for me. I wouldn't complain if I had a '03 Pro X 600 though.

Cat, well, they are Cat's. not bad, I hate their narrow tracks though. The ripoff of the Viper's headlights was uncool too.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
97 XLT SP 600 here. Its a great sled, I've been real impressed w/its power and performance (the little I've gotten to ride it this year). I plan on adding some goodies to it over the summer. Was planning on buying a new sled for this coming season, but after the miserable excuse for a winter we had here, I just can't justify spending over $7000. So I think I'm just going to mod the sled I've got now. I don't think I'll ever sell it, I mean I eventually will get a new sled, but it would be nice to always have a spare!

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
79 Posts
I will stick up for Cat to, i started with a 92 440 panther delux whitch was great in deep powder!!! than i got my 95 xcr 600 and WOW!!! was that ever fast!! i mean like 115, in a corn field, than i jumped it to much so i have to do sone rebuilding this summer but it files like an arrow!! now i have a 98 sno-pro and put 22 miles on it this year, i love the suspension!! i think i will pipe it this summer after its paied off

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I wont stand up for no brand. I ride a 2000 xcr 800. love it. its fast very fast. its easy on the trails and easy on gas and starts like a dream. for what i see from all brands now and for the near future i wont be getting a new one soon. maybe if the susies at polaris would hike up there skirts and put the tripple in the pro x frame i would buy one but why would i buy a new sled in a chasis that is two years out of date. i love the smoothness quitness effeciency and power band of this engine to even think about going back to a garbage twin. i will put my money in the shop to make what i can and buy what i cant to upgrade suspension and comfort.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i think they're roughly $8500, give or take. sled dog would probably know.

all i'll ride is a grabage twin. maybe if i kept my butt on the seat, track on the ground, and skiis pointing forward i'd ride a triple. and i like that my 500 twin kicks a 600 triple.

'99 XC SP 500
Fox shocks stickers- 15 hp
handlebar hooks/riser- 10 hp
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp
running board/edge grips- 20 hp

1 - 20 of 57 Posts