Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a .91 in lug on the xcsp and a .82 on the supersport, just wondering what length stud everyone would go with on the supersport? Already figure on a 1 inch for the xcsp.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Stud manufacturers recommend nothing above .25" more then the lug height. So you could go with 1" on the supersport, but make sure you have tunnel protectors installed.

·
Registered
777 Posts
check this out.
www.wiem.com/catpg9f2.htm

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I've got the same .82" track lug on my triumph. I intalled woody's .920" studs and aluminum backers. This was the maximum recommended stud for that lug height. To figure out the length of the stud needed use the following formula.

Stud length + Backer Thickness - Track Lug Height = 1/4 - 3/8" penetration

I always shoot for the high end of that formula which would be 3/8" penetration. If your buying woody's studs...go for the .920's they have not given me any problems yet...havent bent, broke, or lost a carbide pin out of any of my studs. Track still looks to be in great shape also...no signs of excess stress nor any signs of possible tearouts. Also, you will probably need to install tunnel protectors on the supersport.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Make sure you look at the chart for the kind of studs you will be purchasing. The TOTAL stud lengths differ by manufacturer. The 1" studs I bought were the same total length as the Woody's .92 studs.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I have a .91" lug on my 600 XC. I put 1.15" studs on it with no problems. You need to measure the thickness of the track and lug to figure out how long the entire stud should be so you clear the lug by no more than 1/4". Each of the stud manufacturers reports stud length differently. In the end, ask the people you are buying the studs from what they recommend as a check on your assumptions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts