Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the first sled i got was an 95xlt. polaris dealer was the only one around in the town, so thats what i bought. really liked the ride fit and finish of the sled. so i moved to a 98 xc600, the finish was good but the feel in the cockpit sucked. you sat to far forward and to low. when you rode it down the trail it felt cheap or rough compared to the xlt, it did take abuse better though. i moved to the xcr and that cockpit feels luxury like the xlt did, except the seat is to low and far forward. but it trail rides like a dream and pulls forever. if i could get that sled with the xlt seat that would be great.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Brother-in-law bought an Indy Trail and loved it + nothing like a glossy black sled with some nice decaling....hey, I know that's shallow, but green and yellow are not my colours.
I should really be buying Canadian though, so next sled might be an MXZ Renegade...but not for 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just bought my first "real sled" '96 xlt special.. before that, I owened an old scorpian, and 2 Rupps.. I'm hooked on Polaris now

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I have always been around Polaris since I was little. My Dad worked for a Polaris performance shop for a long time and now for Polaris themselves in Engineering. That is kinda why I ride a Polaris. I guess I could have just as easily went the other way and took on Arcitic Cat.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by erick
[br] My Dad worked for a Polaris performance shop for a long time and now for Polaris themselves in Engineering.
Your Dad works for Polaris!!! Cool....my dream job...shooting snowmobiles for Polaris...or even the other 3 would be great.
I have dreams of being perched on a slope with my Nikon while an RMK comes barreling at me to shoot it leaping through the air.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I got bought my first sled (old indy 500) not because of the brand, but because it was affordable and later on proved to be very reliable and alot of fun to drive. Then i upgraded to an xcr 600 which gave me the thrill i was looking for, but the suspension lacked for BIG jumps. Now i've got my 98 xcr 440 which is just as quick, it's lighter, and takes a pounding much better. It's a rare model which is even cooler. This sled is so much fun!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Was riding an Arctic Jag for too many years. In 2000 I found a great deal on a '93 Xlt. Really liked that sled and still do. My wife wanted to ride too, so I was really looking for a Xcr 800 in the Gen II chassis, but they were out of my price range. Found a 2000 Indy Triumph 600 for a steal at $3100 with 650 miles on it. Could not pass that up. Really like the Arctic Cat 97-98 Zrt's/T-Cats though too! So I kinda ended up a Polaris man because of a price factor.

Erick is your dad engineering the TRIPLE comeback?? LOL

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
LOL! Isn't that the way it always seems to work. I know it does for me.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
My first sled

1990 Arctic Cat Jag 440 AFS. I got it cheap, from family.

Second sled

1994 Polaris Indy 440. This machine was so awesome for me at the time. It gave a good ride, was reliable and had good power for little ol' me at the time.

Third sled

1996 Polaris XCR 440 SP. It was my buddy's machine, and he had engine trouble with it. Due to his university and stuff he couldn't afford to fix it, so we did a swap, my old '94 Indy 440 for the XCR with a really shot engine. I totally rebuilt everything on that motor and it blew within 300 miles. It went up for sale right then and I was already talkin with a guy to buy my Fourth sled.

Fourth sled

1998 Polaris XCR 440 SP. This machine rocked. When I got it the clutching was kind of iffy, so I spent some time doing that, once I got that sorted out, man did this sled haul. It took abuse very well and never really caused me any real grief. Still, the time came to upgrade...

Fifth and current sled

2003 Polaris Pro X 600. I bought this particular model because the last race-derived machine I had (the 1998 XCR 440 SP) machine treated me so well, and could take all I could give it. I was going brand new this time, and I have always liked snocross machines, so I got the Pro X. I wanted clicker shocks for the ability to adjust, I wanted the 600cc engine cuz I don't drive 100 MPH+ I just like to cruise with the guys and goof around on drifts, where you basically need bottom end snap and a good suspension. Lighter the better, they handle better. Plus I think it looks REALLY good.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My first sled was an AC cougar 86`with a fan cooled 500 f\c engine got it cheap after the previous owner slammed it into a barn while being drunk. After some welding and glass fibre work i used it for three years ,every winter the engine broke down those engines was really bad. i even broke the crank i two once!. Then i bought my current sled a couple of years ago.when i got it home to my garage i took it apart and restored it to a good condition. maybe i`l trade it in for a yamaha mm 700,time will show

AC Cougar 500 F\C 86`
AC Wildcat 700 EFI MC 93`

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
My first was an 88 indy 400 classic...I wanted a sled and my dad got one cheap because the guy forgot to check the chaincase oil and it blew up. He said if you fix it you get to ride it. So I got that thing going and eventually sold it to some guy and then bought a 91 indy 500 sp that the previous owner had a major brain fart with too. When rebuilding the engine and the piston circlip goes flying, until proven otherwise always assume it went into the engine. Needless to say the motor needed some attention. So I fixed that one up and am now selling it 2 years later. Now I've just acquired a 97 xc440 because I want the Xtra 10 suspension. I've only had the standard chassis Polaris I guess because I know how to fix them and have tons of parts that'll fit them. But in the logical progression of my upgrades a Polaris Edge is next...or a Firecat, I won't be picky [:)]

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My best friend was my Polaris dealer before he died. So I guess I really haven't thought about riding a different brand. Riley

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Doo's big in the area. And I've always been around them. So thats what was purchased.

·
Registered
226 Posts
First sled: 1977 Yamaha Exciter 440. . .$900, rode it 3 years, hit a stump hidden under fresh snow, bent the right ski straight up, rolled it about 3 times busted the wind shield and somehow broke the cap off the fuel tank.
Completely restored it and sold it for $800 to some guy who wanted it for ice fishing.
Second (Current) Sled: 1997 Polaris Indy Ultra SP. I haven't rode for about 5 or 6 years. All my buddies used to ride Yamis, but switched to Polaris after one guy bought one. I wanted to ride again and my boss/friend from a previous job had this one for sale, so I bought it.
Going from a 440 to a 680 with studs was quite a step up for me, especially the Xtra-10. . . It's like riding around on my living room couch. . . Hey, where's my remote???
This one has plenty of power, rides and handles great!
Hopefully I'll by another one (Polaris) in a couple of years, but I don't know if I'll buy new or used . . . If the money tree in my backyard has a bumper crop, I'll buy the new one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts