Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
9,987 Posts
The easiest swap is probably a 650, the 680 next, and the 800 the hardest.

For an XLT/SP chassis, you'll probably want to stay away from the 800 because of the tall suspension. The sled in my avatar is an XLT/SP with xtra-12 and the tall shock towers, and an 800 trip/trip stuffed in it.. And when I say stuffed, I mean stuffed, over 200 hours by the time I added in the cooler, fitted the pipes, etc..

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 650 from what I hear is a fairly simple swap. What would be the challenges of the 680 swap. My front suspension is the standard 8" IFS but I am swapping that with an Xtra 10 as a project also this summer if that makes a difference ?.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
i have a 680 in my xcr600 you have to drill one of the motor mount strap holes into slots so it can slide over a little and it will bole right up. the only thing you will have to do is add coolers, and run all the lines to the motor.

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Get a 650 or 680 and drop it in..

You can build the existing motor but then you'll still have a monojug motor. And if you do any other mods to it like piping, you'll be rebuilding it again and again.

· Registered
35 Posts
Too bad you're a thousand miles from me, my 96 xlt sp just spit a crank seal on the clutch side, and I just don't feel like it... could have made you a heck of a deal, already clutched and piped too..............

· Registered
1,047 Posts
I don't know of anyone in my area that hasn't destroyed a piped xlt motor. The motor is not strong enough to handle much past stock when it comes to crank life. We do ride them 6 months out of the year and not many people baby them so my observations are based on hard use, not groomed trails with speed limits. I have owned 4 xlt's, one that is running but on it's second crank and three bought for parts except the cranks that were toast in all three....

Just look on ebay at the number of parted out xlt's listed. I'm considering mine a throw away sled if the crank goes out again.

· Registered
204 Posts
I piped,jetted,clutched,geared,136x1.25 track my 97xlt this year and have not had any issues. It is an unbelivable different sled. If the crank goes so be it. The smiles I get every time I get on it are worth it. I will have to say I was very,very, carefull in jetting it properly and using good quality oil along with a fourth oil line going to the pto side.

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
as i have always heard and seen the crank issues come from the PTO oiler line not being big enuf or in the right position on 95-97 XLT's so you would think if i fixed the oiler problem i should be able to pipe it without issues right?

· Registered
9,987 Posts
The pipe issues with XLT causes 2 problems with the cranks...

1 - it toasts the PTO bearing faster

2 - it twists the crank out of phase

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nvrm then im want to get miles out of it i guess i will look into clutching any advice as to how to clutch and gear it so it is faster both top and bottem i have had the cluthced worked on a litlle before and got more bottem to mid out of it but i want bottem and top end

· Registered
204 Posts
I have a friend with 11000 miles on his xlt that has all slp[pipes.cluching,heads] with not one single engine failure and he is runing 9500 rpms. Here is a good article for ya. http://www.wheatfarm.com/snowmobile/info/polaris-sled-faq.pdf

· Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jrdonicht said:
I have a friend with 11000 miles on his xlt that has all slp[pipes.cluching,heads] with not one single engine failure and he is runing 9500 rpms. Here is a good article for ya. http://www.wheatfarm.com/snowmobile/info/polaris-sled-faq.pdf
good find but it says absolutely nothing about my 1995 XLT SKS motor

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.