Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just put the 500 away on the weekend, and got gung ho on the front end.
Pianted up the radius rods with tremclad, and took the shocks off, they look terrible.

I don't want to paint the shocks every year, so what paint do you think will last the longest on front end suspension parts?

Have thought about powdercoating the rods and arms, but the shocks are the worst, and they can't be powdercoated.

I think I will replace all the front end bolts with stainless steel ones.

Also found small 1/4" tear in the seat, anybody ever use those vynal repair kits?

Thanks.....K

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Confused,
Happy 1000th.

I may do that for the rods and arms, but my shocks are really bad, and can't go powdercoat due to oven temps.

Read somewhere on here about epoxy paint, will try to find that and smaller qty's...all Dad found was 1 gal pails for $150.00 CDN...that's a little steep for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i used tremclad rust paint last year and its still on there pretty good.. a few spots flaked a bit, but that was due to some scratching etc.. Im still pretty happy with the results. I just sanded down, not that much, but maybe 3 coats of mat black, then a few of the glossy stuff on top so its matched.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use the VHT Hi-heat paint (made for headers on vehicles) on a LOT of parts... including shocks... it holds up really well. http://www.racenet.net/exh/vht-high-temp.php
what I do to bake/cure mine is hang them on a wire from the rafters of my shop with my BBQ underneath... hehehehe (how's that for high tech?) obviously open the door so you dont use up all the oxygen ; )

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Use shoe glue on your seat. I touched up a few holes in my seat (from my boots) a few years ago, and it's still holding up great. My buddies have repaired bigger sized rips with the stuff and it's holding up great on those as well.

-d

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks pigboy...
Do you use a patch with the glue, or just smear it over the tear?

Any particlar brand of glue? I've seen "Goop" work well on old runners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts