Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What grit and/or type/color do I get? I am trying to strip spray paint off an aluminum front bumper (just spray painted on) then I want to shine it up so it looks like a smooth finish ( I tried a normal wood sand paper to test, and it just scratched the shit out of it and it looked crappy).

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
I'd hit it with some Aircraft Remover to strip the paint. Once it's down to the aluminum, sand it with 1000, 1500, then 2000 grit sandpaper. After that it can be polished to remove any existing imperfections if desired.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Even some gas would probly take off rattle can spray, not a soaked rag but a damp one.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quinlan said:
I'd hit it with some Aircraft Remover to strip the paint. Once it's down to the aluminum, sand it with 1000, 1500, then 2000 grit sandpaper. After that it can be polished to remove any existing imperfections if desired.
What should I get? will rubbing alcohol work? or gas?

Quinlan said:
Do I have to get a special metal type sand paper? do I have to get the black or brown stuff?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Use some WD-40 and steelwool.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Quinlan said:
+1 this is your best bet. I used Kleen-Strip when I stripped my rear bumper, worked great. WEAR GLOVES, that stuff burns the crap out of your skin, but itll work great to stip the paint. Any 1000, 1500, or 2000 grit paper will work fine for cleaning up aluminum.

1,792 Posts
jesse500 said:
What grit and/or type/color do I get? I am trying to strip spray paint off an aluminum front bumper (just spray painted on) then I want to shine it up so it looks like a smooth finish ( I tried a normal wood sand paper to test, and it just scratched the shit out of it and it looked crappy).
Meguier's or Mother's metal polish should remove it (and polish the metal at the same time.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
wet sand it 2000

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Highest I could get was 600. which feels almost smooth.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That will still leave scratches visible when light is reflected off of it. I also recommend aircraft paint stripper. The active ingredient is methylene chloride which is very toxic to the skin and eyes. It will cause permanent damage to your body so be careful. Buy two pairs of gloves because it will eventually eat through the first pair if you use it long enough.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 600 made it look perfectly flat after I hit it with some scotch brite & polish after.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
jesse500 said:
Highest I could get was 600. which feels almost smooth.
Try napa, or maybe even pep boys, in the automotive paint seciton. They carry the higher grit stuff. Most hardware stores dont sell the fine stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts