Snowmobile Fanatics banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

· Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me first start by saying that I doubt I will get better than 6mpg with it, just getting your opinion on what I would get.

The truck is an 87' Chevy 1500 on a 78 frame.

454 bored .040"
edelbrock heads
holly 460 carb
off-road cats
true duals
4.67 gears
5" Pro Comp suspension lift
2" body lift
35x14.5 super swamper boggers
4 speed

What do you guys think?

· Registered
566 Posts
you sure its a 460 carb thats pretty small for a 454 big block i ran a 750 on my 400 but prolly 6 if you granny shift it

· Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what he said

· Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just wanna make sure Im gonna get better than 3 around town. I need to make it from my house, to the gas station, to the mud, back to the gas station.

· Super Moderator
11,386 Posts
It will get 6 or better if you drive it nice. I am sure it has a bigger carb then a 460cfm,most likely a holley off a 460 engine or something. A 454 would be starving with that small of a carb.

· Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RMK-KING said:
most likely a holley off a 460 engine or something.
Could have been what he meant.

Heres some pics. I dont think the lift is as big as he said, but still a big truck.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Pickup truck

Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Engine Fuel line

· Registered
566 Posts
ya thats a much bigger carb than a 460 like rmk said its prolly off a 460 at least a 750 i bet with everything else thats been done to it

· Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
firecatF5 said:
how much is it?
He was asking $5000, but I got him down to $2500.

· Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Motor has under 200 miles on it with the paperwork. It's close to street legal ( will be putting different tires and rims on for inspection ). Needs brake lines, and bumpers put on.

· Registered
4,063 Posts
sledcrusher said:
firecatF5 said:
how much is it?
He was asking $5000, but I got him down to $2500.
I bet you are really proud of that arent you, in an arrogant way.

Anyways, with something like this if you are remotely worried about fuel economy why buy it? It doesnt take a genius to figure out an rough estimate of what it could make, or couldnt make in this case.

· Registered
566 Posts
dude in wyoming that truck would go for over 10000 ill drive out there and pay that for that truck get it while you can

· Registered
2,017 Posts
With the look of the engine bay it's no wonder he's willing to let it go for $2,500. Just some observations... Intake manifold looks as though it hasn't been cleaned and or removed from the block in quite some time (truly rebuilt?), the spark plug wire is wrapped around the steering shaft, lack of PCV, but performance breather hole left in the valve cover, wiring run through a hole in the firewall without protection, and whats with the 8" air cleaner stud? Does he use it to cook kielbasa while on the trails? . My best guess, truck was thrown together without care or knowledge. Looking for a $2,500 project, looks sweet.

· Registered
5,007 Posts
sledcrusher said:
Let me first start by saying that I doubt I will get better than 6mpg with it, just getting your opinion on what I would get.

The truck is an 87' Chevy 1500 on a 78 frame.

454 bored .040"
edelbrock heads
holly 460 carb
off-road cats
true duals
4.67 gears
5" Pro Comp suspension lift
2" body lift
35x14.5 super swamper boggers
4 speed

[highlight=yellow]What do you guys think?[/highlight=yellow]
I think all that it is missing is the confederate flag[:0]

Honestly, buy something reliable that get's good gas mileage. Even a car.

BTW...You're gonna get fried on this thread (my prediction) if it makes it past noon. The truck is a POS!

· Registered
1,480 Posts
$2500 is a good deal, assuming the motor holds together, the frame isint rotten, and the gears were installed correctly. What axles are in it? Motor def looks like itll need a little before shes really driveable. Gears are a little low for mud IMO, esp with that BB. But it should work pretty good overall. Its a great setup, esp with the 78 chassis.

My blazer had about the same final drive ratio, with 35x12.5 tires and I got 8 on the highway, and that was with a TBI 350. Id say youll be around 4mpg. But an improperly tuned carb can have a serious impact on your MPG.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.