Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what is suitable chaincase oil for my 99 mt. max 700? I dont have the owners manual, and I havent got a service manual yet. Is gear oil ok? Or will it be too thick in the cold? How about motor oil? Does yamaha take special stuff? Thank you, I will get a manual soon and quit being a pain in the a**. But I want to change it today, got the day off.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I used 75-90 gear lube, when I find some amsoil I'm picking some of it up or royal purple.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
I run Amsoil synthetic chaincase oil in mine. There's lots of chaincase specific lubes out there, they all work. In a pinch, I would not hesitate to run ATF. ATF is used in 4wd transfer cases which utilize a chain and gears like your chaincase. I would not use 80w-90 or similar for the fact that it was designed for a meshing of gears in your differential, which your sled is not doing. Not to mention it is quite viscous (thick).

In essence, any lube will be better than no lube.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I use ATF personally.

Quinlan said:
I run Amsoil synthetic chaincase oil in mine. There's lots of chaincase specific lubes out there, they all work. In a pinch, I would not hesitate to run ATF. ATF is used in 4wd transfer cases which utilize a chain and gears like your chaincase. I would not use 80w-90 or similar for the fact that it was designed for a meshing of gears in your differential, which your sled is not doing. Not to mention it is quite viscous (thick).

Especially during cold weather its EXTREMELY thick. I dont know if its coincidence but every other sled that I take the chaincase cover off of ( Either a used sled I buy, or one I help my friend work on ) it seems that they used an extremely thick oil.

And quinlan, does the amsoil smell like PB blaster? I took a chaincase apart and it smelled like a big can of pb blaster and figured it must have been something like that. It was a gold color as well.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have run ATF in my sled for 3 years now and not one problem. plus its cheaper.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So dextron3 would be ok then?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey while were on the subject, at work we sell valvoline snowmobile injector oil, but the guy I bought my sled from says he has only used yamalube. Will the valvoline be just as good? BTW he was the original owner so thats all the sled has EVER had.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I guess I'll put changing chaincase lube at the top of my list. Dirtydan if the oil has good oil ratings other than tcw 3 I would use it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone here run 10-30 or other engine oil in the chaincase? I called colville motorsports and they said its better to use than atf, but they have a bad rep. for being swindelers too, I just wanted to hear what they had to say. Ideas?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sledcrusher said:
I use ATF personally.

Quinlan said:

Especially during cold weather its EXTREMELY thick. I dont know if its coincidence but every other sled that I take the chaincase cover off of ( Either a used sled I buy, or one I help my friend work on ) it seems that they used an extremely thick oil.

And quinlan, does the amsoil smell like PB blaster? I took a chaincase apart and it smelled like a big can of pb blaster and figured it must have been something like that. It was a gold color as well.
Why did he get neg'd? seemed like a logical post to me...

·
Registered
368 Posts
for what its worth, i tried the atf in our mtn sleds and was not impressed. actually noticed more wear the when using the recommended 8.5 oz of API "GL-3" SAE 75 or 80. as for the injector oil, i have always ran yamaha 2s in all my yamaha sleds, (9 currently), and never an issue. dont know if its the oil or not, but that sled you just bought with the hi-performance goodies, do you really want to rely on cheap oil? its not the fact that valvoline may or may not meet the requirements, its what the other oils do to exceed the requirements. service manual for your sled, genuine yamaha literature, $12.50, mailed to your door on a cd.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey good advice snowdad, youre right. And can you please tell me how to get that manual?

·
Registered
368 Posts
pm me for more info on the manual. what i have to offer is genuine yamaha service manuals copied to a cd. not a clymer, not a knock-off, the same material that yamaha dealers use to work on sleds. i have thousands of dollars wrapped up into my collection spanning over 25 years. basically every sled i have ever had, as well as others, and almost every model that yamaha produced from 83 through 04, as well as yamaha tech update books that arent available for the public, so, in addition to the service manuals, i have the inside info on what yamaha was warning/advising/updating their dealers. still ride alot, just cant afford new model sleds anymore.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool man, you sound like the yamaha guru for sure! Will do on that manual, thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts