Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was just wondering what sleds are good for open water and wich ones to stay far away from... im not looking to spend alot of money so don't tell me rmk800 or something ..im talking cheap ... im planing on riding just this season then its gunna be only water
so yah thanks anywayz

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the old indy chassis can be made great for water. strip it down to nothing but a hood and belly pan. make sure they seal up well. use little 1/2 gallon jug for gas. narrow the front suspension up. put on a 1.25 track. possibly a 136 tunnel extension for the standard track. make sure the front suspension and steering holes are all sealed up good where they go into the belly pan.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
^^^^^ exactly

·
Registered
690 Posts
not a yamaha, they are heavy as hell, my brother sunk his buddy's yamaha trying to go across the water, polaris indys are probably the best

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was thinking of an xlt or something similier

·
Registered
109 Posts
from what i've seen cat's and yammi's are not the way to go. my old skidoo mxz 600 ran water like a boat and my buddies polaris xcsp 600 was great too.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
polaris indy. the old indy 500 motors where always strong. are you joining watercross?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by v-maxsledder
[br]polaris indy. the old indy 500 motors where always strong. are you joining watercross?
its mostly gunna be for pleasure , but if i could find some i would join n a heart beat

·
Registered
32 Posts
i did it with my ultra, 680, 121 x 1.5 track. got to the point of being able to do a figure 8. just do not catch the edge of the land when turning, i did. needless to say at 60mph we both took a beating as it tumbled onto land.[B)]

·
Registered
489 Posts
we bought a 82 indy that was a lake runner and it was a solid rear suspension, front was all sealed up with silicone, gauges and seat and take were tooken off as well as mud flap, stock track, stock 340 engine, smaller gas tank, and they pretty much striped off as much weight as they could to make up for the solid rear suspension, the fron also had some neat solid peices to replace the shocks and springs.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice i plan on doing that in the summer ONE QUESTION
is bigger alwayz better?

·
Registered
489 Posts
weight no, engine size i would stick with a twin if possible the 340 we got made it so im sure a bigger engine wouldnt be that neccsary but depends on what u have avalible and if its ganna be raced

·
Registered
43 Posts
My sled seems a little heavy, but I went fine water skipping... I never sank it, but man talk about geting wet, with the holes in the foot rails

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
bigger is not always better you see some people on snow and water who'l put tracks that are way to big for that little of a motor on there sleds and go through pistons allot. were thinkin abotu turnin our indy 500 into a watercross sled

·
Registered
489 Posts
isnt that a trail sled?

also be prepared to change all your bearings the next year

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
water and bearings don't go togehter , i know that one by experience[;)]

·
Registered