Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
Just wondering what temperature paint would be good to use on my exhaust pipe for my '91 Mach 1. Can I use the regular high temp. paint or do I HAVE to use the "really" high temp. stuff? Any tips would be greatly appreciated and any brand names of paint would be helpful too.

Thanks,

James[:)]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Your pipes should run around 1200-1250 degrees for max power. so I would say you are gonna need some pretty high temp paint (Not sure what temp ranges are) You shouldn't need to account for much more than that for temp or you will have bigger problems than the paint coming off your pipes.

·
Registered
837 Posts
none it will all burn off the only think you can paint with is that jet hot coating or someting like it, even though some paint say 1500 they still will burn off

·
Registered
637 Posts
I paint my pipes every year w/ high heat manifold paint from good 'ol crappy tire.. It will peel/burn off without proper preparation.. the pipes need to be clean and 100% rust free.. otherwise it will just peel and flake off..

Try and find what ever paint has the most toxic/warning lables on it.. heh, I always find what every is the worst for the enviroment works the best..

Matt, is right however.. I have not been able to find a paint that will last more than a season.. but if you leave them exposed for long enough they will crack..

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Dupli-color High Heat 1200 degree paint with ceramic in it works great. 6 colors available. sanded ,cleaned and painted mine 2 years ago and they still look great.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

Oh yeah, and during storage months I spray the whole engine compartment and suspension up with WD-40. Keeps the moisture from rusting/corroding the stuff up.

·
Registered
837 Posts
that stiff won't last. my pipe hit 1250 almost all the time and will hit 1300 sometimes, the only way to go it a ceramic coating

·
Registered
502 Posts
lol, I'm not going to start on this one cause I would get in trouble. There is paint that will last a while but it's costs money and we buy it in 5 gal quanity and i don't think you can buy it in a spray can

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just sprayed my PSI twins with the Dupli-Color High heat w/ ceremic 1200* blue color. I only painted them for the initial pictures knowing that it will turn white after the first ride. To my surprise they have lasted 500 miles whithout looking any different then when I started. I was very meticulous in sanding the rust off. Might be a little fat on the jetting also.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I reconditioned my exhaust system prior to this season. First I took it off the sled and then gave it a good workover with the wire brush. Then I treated it with "Naval Jelly". After it dried, I gave it 2 generous coats of 1500 deg paint. Seems to be holding up ok, however, the instructions said to bake the paint at 300 deg F to cure it. I did not do this for fear of my next casserole tasting like paint, so I'm expecting the paint to peel eventually. I'll just have to wait an see.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I myself have never done it yet but going to have to do 2 of my other sleds in the spring. Most of my buddies use the Barbe-Q paint for theirs. It seems to work. Brush it on, don't get the spray cans. The spray doesn't work worth crap. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts