Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reason asking, I'm going up north tomorrow to ride, but it might be in the mid 30's F. We have liquid cooled machines. Is this a safe temp. to ride in?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Shouldn't bother your sleds. Last year I rode my fan cooled sled about 150 miles when it was around 5-8 degrees celsius all day. Never had a problem with it. Just ran a little richer.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
fan cooleds deal better with higher temps but you still shouldn't have a problem. In 2 Stroke Cold Smoke 3 the guys ride around for a while on some mountain top with snow when its like 60 70 degrees.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sled_Dog, I never understood that, why do fancooled motors deal with higher temps better than liquid cooled motors? I just really never understood that, any info appreciated

Patrick

·
Registered
150 Posts
well, something flowing is really important to move heat. Fan cooled ALWAYS can have air flowing, liquid cooled dont always have snow in contact with them. At least that has been my experience. If you have a temp gauge, just watch it. I have never seen mine get above half way, and usually the needle is at almost the lowest reading. whenever the sled is moving it seems to be cooler than at idle. Once again, the temp gauge is there for a reason (unless you dont have one).

·
Registered
506 Posts
ya, fans always provide a median to X-fer the heat. liquids don't always have that luxury, for a long time, liquids had radiators for exactly that reason, worked same as a freeair, if it's getting to hot, give her a wide open shot across a field to cool her down. messed up logic by our heat exchanger liquid cooled standards, but it worked

·
Registered
150 Posts
true enough, my temp gauge reads almost below any markings on the gauge when I was going across a lake at 90+mph (didnt have speedo cable at the time, so I dunno exact speed). But when I slow down to a stop, it goes up 1/4 of the way. First time I noticed that I thought it was rather odd, but makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Weather isent realy a factor on a liquid sled.as long as you have enough snow to cool the rads you will be fine.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Junior
[br]ya, fans always provide a median to X-fer the heat. liquids don't always have that luxury, for a long time, liquids had radiators for exactly that reason, worked same as a freeair, if it's getting to hot, give her a wide open shot across a field to cool her down. messed up logic by our heat exchanger liquid cooled standards, but it worked

I wonder why they did away with using the radiators. I know the Scorpion Sidewinders, Kawsaki Invaders, and the Liqufiers had them. Then again these three companies don't make sleds anymore. I guess they can be punctured, that's the only reason I can think of.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Just a note about riding in cold temps...I've riden in -35 C, and when it's that cold my 500XC needs way more fuel, so instead of changing jets I set the needles higher to get more fuel into the flatslides.
One more important note, cold temps is one thing, but cold and riding at 50 - 70 mph is another....if you feel exposed skin especialy around your neck, STOP, and cover up. At those temps and speeds, it will only feel cold for a minute or two, then your skin and nerve endings will freeze and it will feel fine, until it warms up again...then you'll be in pain.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the forecast has changed. It's going to be colder. :)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Kevin they also don't cool as well as heat exchangers, think about it one little 8" by 8" radiator(I had an Invader It hink thats what it was) cooling a modern day ZR 900 engine? I think not. Snow hitting the exchangers is a MUCH more effective cooling system for modern engines, but its not always reliable thanks to limited snow and packed snow conditions. Radiator getting hit wouldn't be a concern, I know my invader was under the hood so air went through the hood then the radiator. Also underhood space isn't what it was 20 some years ago. Also giving a liquid sled full throttle is an effective way to cool the pistons down. Not holding it across a field mind you but rather just blipping the throttle open pretty far, loads the cylinders up with gas and cools it down. Leaner the combustion charge hotter it burns. Thats why alcohol is so great, can run high compression adn real lean conditions without worrying about overheating, it burns much cooler. My cousin is racing Dirt Modifieds instead of Sportsman class this year because then he can run Alcohol instead of normal high octane Gasoline.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good points Sled Dog

·
Registered
667 Posts
Opening up a newer sled with a heat exchanger should make more snow woosh onto the heat exchanger and the coolant flows a lot quicker at higher rpms too. Well what do i know? =)

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
In warm conditions, one thing I'll do to keep it cool is to plop a big ol' pile of snow on each running board. It gives the heat exchangers underneath something to do other than cook my boots.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts