Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 88 Exciter with a wore out rear suspension. I was given a suspension out of a 95 Vmax. I was wondering how easy or hard the switch is going to be and if I am going to have to do any mods. Are the shocks on the Vmax rebuildable/rechargeable? The shocks feel good but would like to freshen them up before install if I can. Any info would be great. And let there be snow!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
first off, measure the crosshafts from the vmax and then the inside of the tunnel on the exiter. you may find about an inch or so difference. next, if the skid donor sled is still available, measure the key mounting points, ie: driveshaft to front arm center to center, front arm to rear pivot, and distance down from the top of tunnel. these measures are crucial for the transplant as they are different from the exiter. the vmax skid can be altered to retrofit the narrower exiter skid with a little finesse.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Snow dad and yes you are correct the Exciter is 16in and the vmax is 17in.The shaft is threaded as far as I can see in so I was figuring cut it down equal side to side and clean up the treads. I was wondering if anyone out there with an Exciter could supply me with the measurements that Snow dad mentioned as the doner sled is gone? Any help would be great!

·
Registered
368 Posts
you would want the measures from the vmax, not the exiter, if i read your post correctly. from center of driveshaft to center of front pivot 6 7/8". down from top inside of tunnel 6". center of front pivot to center of center crosshaft = 17 3/4", down 3 3/4". center of front to center bolt of rear oval bracket 29", down 3 7/8".

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help Snowdad we are going to start on it in a couple of weeks I will let you know how it turns out. Meanwhile off to da U.P. to do some hunting and get da place ready for sledding!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts