Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm pretty pissed off right now. WE have snow and my sled doesn't even want to work. I was running it before but it did not run well at all. It did not have top end speed and it backfired a couple of times. My dad suggested it was out of tune so we start messing with the pilot screw and idle screw. I set the pilot screw to 1.5 turns (standard) and started messing with the idle. It smoked like crazy for a while before I realised the choke was still on which consumed a lot of gas. I took the choke off and now she does not want to start at all, at every idle settting. I'm really pissed off now and I've wasted half my tank of gas trying to fix the stupid thing. Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
You probably fouled out the plugs from leaving the choke on. Put some new plugs in.

As for the backfiring, throw some seefoam or isoheet in the tank and see if that helps. As long as you didn't screw something up with the settings.

Wouldn't hurt to clean the carbs as well.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by Blackcat
[br]You probably fouled out the plugs from leaving the choke on. Put some new plugs in.

As for the backfiring, throw some seefoam or isoheet in the tank and see if that helps. As long as you didn't screw something up with the settings.

Wouldn't hurt to clean the carbs as well.
^I agree..and first off you need to have a better attitude
these things are going to happen and you need to know how
to fix 'em,try as Blackcat suggested but pull your carbs
and clean them sounds like your pilots and and other jets
need a good cleaning..

andi hope your not running that PZ with the shroud off
the cyls. like in your avatar??

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now that I've finally calmed down and treated the numerous injuries that I got from trying to fix that thing, I can now talk like a civilized human being.
-How long would it take to clean the carbs as a newbie? I'm kinda afraid to do it. Is it hard?
-Yea, I'm not running without the shrouds. Kinda defeats the purpose of s fan cooled. I just took a pic like that since it looked cooler than a plastic shroud.
-It's a 1990 phazer 2.
-At one time when the sled was running, we adjusted it so it ran like a bat outta hell. If you hit the throttle it took off. Is that how its supposed to be? It stalled a lot when it was idleing so we had to scrap it.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Not hard at all pull 'em off take to your bench pull the
bowls off and you'll see the jets,

here this should help a little,this your carb,
[attachment=58862]

[attachment=58863]

[attachment=58864]

[attachment=58865]

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
it should not take long at all just take one apart at a time so you dont get to many parts laying around and remember what you take apart and where it goes

·
Registered
474 Posts
If the carbs are fine, check the ignition coil ( where the plug wires come out of) for resistance. I've seen 2 or 3 coils go bad on phazers and they usually either drop a cylinder or run really bad with no top end. A weak coil gone bad could hurt the spark therefore not burn the fuel. If you have another coil or can get one for a test, try swapping one of them. I also wouldn't run the phazer without the fan shroud, it will over heat.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hold on, my manual says I should replace the 0-ring gasket. I'm assuming this is unessecary.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, I think I figured out the main problem...the carbs needed cleaning. I have the dirtyest carbs any man has ever saw. There is this brown crap everywhere and it coats everything. The nozzle was completely covered with the hard brown crap and the jets had a fair amount on them too. The bowls also have like a coating of this brown crap. We are letting the carbs soak in solevent before we try cleaning the passage ways. It's an absolute mess. At least we have found the problem. Thanks for all the help Daman.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by joniggy
[br]well, I think I figured out the main problem...the carbs needed cleaning. I have the dirtyest carbs any man has ever saw. There is this brown crap everywhere and it coats everything. The nozzle was completely covered with the hard brown crap and the jets had a fair amount on them too. The bowls also have like a coating of this brown crap. We are letting the carbs soak in solevent before we try cleaning the passage ways. It's an absolute mess. At least we have found the problem. Thanks for all the help Daman.
Sounds like old nasty gas residue

glad i could help,just make sure you take your time and
do a good job so you don't have to go in again..[;)]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts