Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my MN trail permit and directions say to put it above the headlight. I'm looking closer and can't figure out how to affix it since it has no sticky backing[:(] How the heck do they figure you're supposed to affix them to your sled with no adhesive backing[?] This chaps my hide[}:)] Anyone else have this problem or am I missing something here[?]

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
it should have some with an extra sheet that you have it stick it to first. You leave it on the other sheet for a few minutes, then remove and stick to your sled. I still don't have mine yet. I really should go up and get it soon!!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Mine just peeled right apart, and I stuck it on the top part of the registration sticker.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I got in the envelope was the trail permit and it is so thin I know there is no backing. I've tried to separate it but it doesn't seperate. Guess I'll have to call them and see if they forgot to send the whole shabang to put it on. Thanks!!!
Originally posted by 95XCR600
[br]it should have some with an extra sheet that you have it stick it to first. You leave it on the other sheet for a few minutes, then remove and stick to your sled. I still don't have mine yet. I really should go up and get it soon!!!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
yea i was wondering the same thing......but on the other hand i havent licensed my sled in 2 years and i only had the trail sticker because they gave someone i know an extra one. i just used some 3m double sided tape.....worked for the whole 30 miles i put on today......i bet that all she is gunna see for another year......

·
Registered
432 Posts
My MN ones have always been self-adhiseive. Printed on the color thermal paper, with a backer sheet that needs to be peeled off to expose the adhesive. Just like my registration. But I suppose it all depends on what printing machine they have at the place of purchase. The WI one I bought last season was the 2-part kind, where you had to place it on the adhesive sheet, then pull the thing apart. I had never seen anything like that before last year, and needed the clerk to show me how it worked. I hope you get yours figured out.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The self adhesive kind is the only ones I have ever seen. Maybe they are different this year. I have to get a one year for my sons sled becaues his still has a year to go before the three year registration is due. They are cheaper in MN for the three year trail sticker.
Originally posted by TommyBoy68
[br]My MN ones have always been self-adhiseive. Printed on the color thermal paper, with a backer sheet that needs to be peeled off to expose the adhesive. Just like my registration. But I suppose it all depends on what printing machine they have at the place of purchase. The WI one I bought last season was the 2-part kind, where you had to place it on the adhesive sheet, then pull the thing apart. I had never seen anything like that before last year, and needed the clerk to show me how it worked. I hope you get yours figured out.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
some times you have to wet it

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Unless you got a defective one, they do have a stick backing.

·
Registered
875 Posts
This happend to my brother in law last year. What happend is whoever printed it out, was a tool (didnt't know what they were doing) and printed it on the wrong kind of paper with out the adhesive.

EDIT: By the way, you don't necessarily have to put it on your windshield. You can put it either above or below the headlight. I like to put it on my hood below the headlight, just incase for some reason I break a windshield.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the posts guys[:)] I must have been the lucky one to get a defective one. I'll probably use the 3M tape and put it on that way. Probably going to replace windshield next year anyway.

·
Registered
287 Posts
the person at the dnr building said you can put it above your tabs on the side too there is a little piece in the upper right hand corner that you cut off thats what i did on my sled

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ontario has the same sort of sticker, I put it on a separate piece of plastic and put it behind the windscreen using the windscreen screw/dart. that way theres no sticky crap on your paintjob and it looks good to.

·
Registered
482 Posts
They do this crap all the time in WI too, if you stop at a gas station for a pass, you have to get the sticky sheet separately. I know for a fact Gander Mountain has the sticky sheets, because they sell a ton of diff types of licenses on non sticky paper.

But thats besides the fact.... HOW STUPID IS IT THAT WE HAVE TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL FEE JUST TO RIDE?!?! The sticker is a joke anyway, its like 1 inch square, you could just tape on a blue piece of paper and draw an 09 on it with permanent marker, and unless you were within 2 feet of it no one would know the difference. and its kinda dumb too how the the fee for not having one is you just have to buy one for double the price. I know a guy who i personally rode over 2000 miles with last year who did not have any type of ID on his sled at all. He had just gotten the sled from the dealer, and at first they were slow at getting him his stickers, but then when he got them he was too lazy to put them on. So we just rode and never had any problem.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The sticker is not stupid.
Do you know where your trails come from? The snowmobile clubs get the easements, cut the brush, build the bridges, clear them again because of an ice storm, re-route trails because some idiot does not stay on the trail and runs over the land owners trees..... plus the clubs have to maintain and repair everything. With the price of diesel and oil, parts to repair the groomers and all other supplys having increased so much in the past couple of years that extra 16 bucks (not even the price of one tank of gas for the sled) can make a difference in you having a smooth wide trail to ride. The money for the trail sticker goes to the clubs not the state of Minnesota.
20,000 plus miles of snowmobile trails in the state of minnesota and the clubs maintain over 18,000 of those miles.

ok, enough ranting and raving. just buy the sticker and help pay for the trails you ride on.

·
Registered
482 Posts
yeah i know the "story" but the trails were as good or better before any trail pass. Usually by the time of the week I ride the trials are shot anyway.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Originally posted by thehawk789
[br]yeah i know the "story" but the trails were as good or better before any trail pass. Usually by the time of the week I ride the trials are shot anyway.
It's a good thing a majority of sledders dont have your attitude, it would be a grim future for our sport if they did.

·
Registered
482 Posts
thanks. but just remember that I'm not the idiot who cuts across private property and pretty soon those trails get closed off... Even if they didnt groom trails I would still be out there. As a matter of fact last year I rode in the beginning of december, way up north, nothing was cleared or groomed, my tracks were the first ones out there, and it wasnt even that bad for the most part.

Did you know that in a lot of counties they run the groomers down dirt trails just to put miles on them- so that the county doesnt lose funding? how much of a backwards situation is that, considering the new trail pass and all.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hawk, your brain is numb. The trails were good before due to the generosity of the area clubs and their fund raising efforts. Now they are getting a little extra help, and that's great. As far as being the first guy out on a trail, you got lucky. I was the among the first sledders out December 05 in the Cable WI area last season and the hard working people from that area club had not been through a few parts yet. Some of the trails had fallen limbs of trees across them that we had to lift over. These folks go out with chain saws before the groomers go through and they are volunteers I might add. Do not ignore the efforts of all the people who, unlike you, do more than just ride through.
Originally posted by thehawk789
[br]yeah i know the "story" but the trails were as good or better before any trail pass. Usually by the time of the week I ride the trials are shot anyway.
[:(!]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts