Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to now what the powerband for a 1995 cougar 550 i'am running 9000 rpm right now please help me before i blow it up thank

·
Registered
450 Posts
9000 rpm is wayyyyyy to high id say your losing about 20 hp over rev. didnt you say in previous posts this is a d and d race engine you have? if so cant you contact them to find that out?? the 550 a/c eng makes peak power at about 7700/7800 rpms. if your eng is d and d i have no idea what the peak is, are you running pipes? the only way your rpm should be that high is with race pipes and porting that call for it. for example, i've got a set of slp twins coming for my sled and with those plus porting my eng has to run at 8800 vs. 8250 that it is now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got the twin pipes on it they told me that thy dinod the motor and the most power is 8700_8800 rmp and i tryed difernt setup in the cluthes and its still runs about 8900-9000 rmp is that ok for it to do it

·
Registered
450 Posts
if they told you to run 8700, run 8700. any more and you'll be dropping off your power peak. was there any custom port work done on your eng? if so the rpm you're running now could suffice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
96 Cougar makes its peak power at 8000. Are you telling me that going to a twin pipe is going to boost your peak RPM up 700? I don't think so. Maybe 200-300. Even then you'd have to re-jet to compensate for the extra flow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts