Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear the water pump belt breaking is a pretty common problem on the 600 and 700 liberty motors. If you lose the belt the waterpump and oil injection stops working. I got it all apart and the belt looks good, BUT my question is, should i throw it back in and do away with my oil injection? Ive had a 250 dirt bike in the past and i was starting to get good at mixing the gas till i lost the bottom end so id have no problem mixing the gas. I just DO NOT want to seize this motor after all the money i have into this thing. Tell me what you guys think

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use the oil injection on my polaris, but also mix 50:1 as a back up just incase my pump decides not to work. Never had a problem doing it that way.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Stay with the oil pump. Mixing gas is easy till you go on a long hall and ur doing the math in ur head carrying extra oil having to try to mix it up inside ur tank.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
stay with the oil injection, someone else posted about this, and someone made a very good point, that when your running and you give it throttle you get more oil, when you mix it and you gun it you only get what you got mixed

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Dragoncald said:
I use the oil injection on my polaris, but also mix 50:1 as a back up just incase my pump decides not to work. Never had a problem doing it that way.
So you run 25:1? Wow, i'd hate to be following you[:D]

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Oil pump belt breaking is not a big issue. I havn't heard of that many people breaking them. I have over 6800 miles on my 700. 1 belt in that entire time. There was a guy on hcs that sold kevlar belts. That's what I run. Run the oil pump. Most engines are over oiled at 50:1. Alot of chainsaw, ice auger and dirt bike guys use Opti-2 or amsoil sabre at 100:1 ratios. With no issues.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If you haven't already, put a new belt on and run it. I haven't heard of anyone breaking the belt but I'm sure it has happened.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Im going to put my old belt back in for now and order a new one tonight and keep it for a spare or switch it out when it gets here. I love this site, ask a question and within an hour or so you'l have all the information you'l need [thumb]

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Vamped400 said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Im going to put my old belt back in for now and order a new one tonight and keep it for a spare or switch it out when it gets here. I love this site, ask a question and within an hour or so you'l have all the information you'l need [thumb]
I'd switch it out and keep the old as a spare just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Check this out. If you haven't changed one before you will find there is no way to adjust belt tension. Find how we went about getting the right fit.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/117636-98-xc-700-water-pump-belt#1183771

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where can i order a new belt? $50 is a pretty hefty price for this little thing. And thanks for the tip tnmemr, I would have just thrown one on and never thought twice about it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts