Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my parents said they were putting their old mower we had on a rummage sale for $50 unless I wanted it "deck was wore out". So I figured I would have a little fun with it one night when I was bored.

80s Huskee mower,12hp Briggs

Mower after
-I changed out pulleys to significantly increase the top speed
-Bypassed governor
-Solid welded the pivoting front end
-Auto grade yamaha blue paint job,clear coated and yamaha graphics

Its pretty fun to screw around on and a good conversation piece,I have no idea what I will do with it now. I have a ATV blade I might try putting on it for fun sometime.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I don't mean to be a newb, but what do you mean by pulleys? Also how much could be gained from rejetting? Our current mower is kinda getting to that point so I was thinking I would soup it up a bit. That thing looks sweet, made a nice dough nut

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Polaristhewayout said:
I don't mean to be a newb, but what do you mean by pulleys? Also how much could be gained from rejetting? Our current mower is kinda getting to that point so I was thinking I would soup it up a bit. That thing looks sweet, made a nice dough nut
The mower is belt drive "most are" so it has a pulley on the engine and another on the rear end, you make the engine pulley bigger and the rear end pulley smaller to increase speed. I need a bigger front pulley because it still revs out pretty fast,it is capable of running 40+Mph with this engine and the right pulley setup.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Wow it looks brand new now. Do you have any idea what size pulleys it would need to go 40 plus?

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rsims16 said:
Wow it looks brand new now. Do you have any idea what size pulleys it would need to go 40 plus?
I would say a 3" in the rear and a 7" up front would get you there. Stock was 8" in the rear and 3-4" on the engine. It makes a difference what transmission your mower has to,mine is a 5 speed.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
You should get some big old swamp tires for it if you are gonna "off road" or drop it and get it lower to the ground for some speed.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Look up B&S engines of the same model as yours. What they did, and still do, is design one engine and use different carbs to limit HP. You might be able to get a carb off an 18 or 20 HP engine and add some power.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Aint no mod unless it has hand guards and a monster sticker LOL, My boces teacher was telling us how one day when EFI makes its way to mowers we will be able to get performance chips for them, I can not wait for that day

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I want to find a Seven speed shift on the go MTD to do the pulley swap with. They are the best since they have seven speeds. I was actually going to do a pulley swap on my JD I bought a week ago, but I decided to just sell it. The JD had an electric PTO cluch and It woulda been harder to swap pulleys. Did you have to ad any other belt tensioners?? I could tell you the exact year of that thing if the Briggs is original. Look at the engine tag, the last set of numbers, and look at the first two numbers. That will tell you the year it was made. My JD woulda been a cool little tractor to mod, but it was still nice to have for cutting. I had a beater lawn tractor last year. It was a 95 Craftsman with a 14.5hp briggs on it. I took it through a creek, and put a ghetto stack on it. It ran like crap, so i sold it for 50 bucks. Lol. Heres some pics of my tractors. The Craftsman woulda EASILY out pulled that JD. I had a 4x8 trailer overflowing with wet leaves, and the craftsman pulled it with no problem, even off road. The hydro on the craftsman was much better than the JD's clutch system to. I was thinking about getting another one and putting skis on the front somehow, and wrapping tracks around the rear tires to make it go through snow. Who knows, and sorry i rambled on and on. I just like talking about tractors sometimes, lol. 201062613414826_29056.jpg
201062613435732_29056.jpg
20106261351388_29056.jpg
20106261351760_29056.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PolarisIndySKS said:
Did you have to ad any other belt tensioners??
No I have not had to add any yet,if I would have put the 3" pulley on that I had originally wanted to I would have had to add one,so settled for a 4.5" instead. Today I put a 7" pulley on the engine,she should really scoot now. I just need to get a new belt now as none of my spares fit.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
"You might be a *******...."
I was waiting for someone to say that.[:D]

Redneck13x said:
Thats sweet! Are you able to put the stock one that was up front on the back and the rear stock one up front?
No they were different bore sizes on mine.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
You might be a *******
...If every thing you ride or drive is [highlight=blue]blue[/highlight=blue], just having a laugh.[thumb]

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Better put that hotrod mower in your lineup and take a new picture like your avatar. [;)]

·
Registered
35 Posts
got one of them old craftsmans like polarisindySKS's theyre such a blast to just tear around on and disturb the peace but the 12horse briggs threw a rod afew months ago lol

·
Registered
463 Posts
old mowers are sooo much fun! me and the guys have a mow-to cross track we built in a field, the jumps are totally lame. but funn as heck to cruise around on old mowers, and old-school mini bikes! we grab old mowers from ppl all the time, trashem, and scrap them!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
the scariest mowers at high speed are those really small ones with the engine in the back, those thing love to just flip over in corners.

we had a 7hp simplicity like that and we had it going 35mph. plus with the engine in back, you could hang wheelies all day. hahaha
we were racing it one day with a bunch of other guys and my dad was driving it, he got the tires caught up in the other guy's tires and ended up going end over end into the hay bails....that was one hell of a day. haha

1 - 20 of 35 Posts