Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
polaris 1977 250cc twin cylinder looking to know what ratio to mix the fuel at and what kind of oil to use any help appreciated

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
With my old polaris's I mix 40:1.

·
Registered
149 Posts
agreed. 40:1 is the way to go. as far as what exact oil to use, I would`nt worry alot about brands, just make sure its snowmobile oil, and not marine oil. any two stroke snowmobile oil, will be fine. I geuss i should mention, that it might not say only snowmobile on the container, but snowmobiles will be in the list on the label. unlike some marine oils that dont even list snowmobiles as bieng capatable with that oil.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think you'l find runnig 40:1 a bit on the heavy side with todays lubricants. 40:1 is probably a good mix if you're running flat out all the time. But realistically that's a rare occorance on the trail. If you have goo dripping out of the exhaust couplings (have seen this many times) you need to back off on the mixture. A lot depends on your riding style. Sleds using oil injection run from ratio's of 100:1 to more then 40:1 depending on throttle settings. Obviously a fixed ratio is a reaL compromise. Watch your plug condition and look for oil dripping from the exhaust and lean out the ratio from there. 40:1 is more or less a manufacturers safety plus condition and again todays lubricants far exede those of 1977.

·
Registered
69 Posts
to add the post above. the oil has to say snowmobile oil on the bottle. see marine oil will thick'n up at low temps. snowmobile oil is more designed for the cold temp and keeps it flowable. and i agree with everyone. 40:1 is good. it's better to smoke a little then not at all and blow the motor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Would you use a synthetic? I don't think it would harm the engine, would it?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
You can use a syn oil if you want. Nothing saying you can't.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by fixerupper
[br]I would`nt worry alot about brands, just make sure its snowmobile oil, and not marine oil. any two stroke snowmobile oil, will be fine.
I must disagree with fixerupper;
My last sled was a Trailcat that I rode for a few years & was forced to mix since the pump was pooched...anyway....don't cheap out on oil, I bought some cheap Canadian Tire shelf brand rather than my usual Shell Advance, and let me tell you my sled ran like crap and smoked like mad....you get what you pay for.
50:1 has always been a widely used mix ratio for older sleds.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Your right, I should have put it a differant way, I meant, as far as arctic cat oil, yama lube, polaris, ect. I agree that i would`nt feel good about using some oil that had a name that i never heard of.
But when it comes to mixing the oil, I along with quite a few friends have vintage sleds, and not one of us run 50:1, most run 40:1, at the thinest. Even though todays oils are better, your still running a sled that is well over 20+ years old, and them bearings ect. are`nt exactly new, so i like to keep them lubed up real good, you can about bet, they have a little more play in them, than a much newer motor does. just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yep...your right that 40:1 is safer, but my Dad & I have been mixing 50:1 for all these old sleds without a problem for over 20 years...

1969 Ski-Doo Olympic
1970 Ski Doo Olympic
1976 Polaris Electra
1972 Arctic Cat Cheetah
1981 Arctic Cat Trialcat

All these machines have been worked hard
hauling hunting gear on toboggans in the bush too, (accept the Trailcat).

·
Registered
117 Posts
When you are looking for oils make sure that the oil has the TW-C 3 coding on the container. This means it is compatible with cold weather use. After using a lot of different oils we finally settled for Penzoil marine semisynthetic. It runs very clean and does not clog up the apv valves on my sons 01 zr 500. One oil we did not like at all was amsoil. The stuff fouled every spark plug in 5 different sleds that we put the stuff in. We actually saw lunps in the stuff one day as we were topping off the oil injection tanks. We run the penzoil at 40-1 in the premix toys,chainsaw,dirtbikes and sleds too. 85 Manta rules!! Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts