Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if i should get a open faced/mx style helmet or a full face shield. Which ones fog/ice up more. Thanks i'm 14 and dont have a job yet to buy the nicest gear ever.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
IMO, full face helmets are heavy, and fog up way to much. I switched to MX helmets and I will never go back.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
It is personal preference really, For example My brother had a mx style helmet once and he hated it, so he switched to the Ski-Doo modular helmet and he loves it. I used to have that Ski-Doo BV2s helmet and I did not like it at all so I now use a mx style helmet and I love it. Just find a helmet that suits you and your style because it is different strokes for different people

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
upnorthsports.com has some nice cheap helmets...got my hjc mx style for 107 bucks

·
Registered
31 Posts
well what kind of riding do you do? if you only ever trail ride get a full face. if you ride ditches and like to jump lots get an mx style with goggles. if you do all of the above get a gmax 37x, you can put a face sheild on when youre trail riding and then you can take it off and put your goggles on and go ditchbang.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If you mostly ride ditches get an MX style helmet with oggles and quick straps for the goggles. I just switched to an MX style helmet this year and love it. The quick straps are nice so if you manage to fog your goggles they're easier to clear off. I have noticed that the MX style with goggles fogs less compared to the full face with shield. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Got this for Christmas and I love it, HJC CS-R1 DAGGAR with electric faceshield, you can take the cord off for warm weather riding or put the cord back on if needed.
2010122915436625_23064.jpg

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
with an mx helmet almost any helmet will do. its the goggles u gotta be careful of.

and by the sounds of it sounds like u want more of a mx style for ditch banging so i would invest a little more money into the goggles u get instead of the helmet.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Scott makes a very good quality goggle, I own 3 pairs, I recently bought a clear and yellow lens so that one pair of my 89 xi's can stay clear for night riding, and one pair can either be yellow or amber but I think I may keep the yellow in because I like the yellow tint. Along with Scott there are many goggle manufacturers out there like Dragon, Smith, Utopia, Spy, Von Zipper, and Oakley just to name a few.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Go to the dealership and try some helmets on. Make sure you get one that fits your head correctly and is comfortable to wear.

I think everyone is right above me. I feel that the MX style helmets fog fewer times than a full face helmet and allow for better visibility.

·
Registered
998 Posts
brian126 said:
I've been thinking about getting this one. What you guys thing of it?
great helmet. my buddy bought one last year. light weight, comfy, well vented, and cheap. i would definitely recommend it. my only complaint would be the lack of chin curtain, but with a good balaclava not a problem.

I used to wear full face, got tired of fog so switched to mx. ill never go back to full face. i have never had a problem with fog, unless i accidentally get moisture(usually snow) when they are off my face.

Id also recommend the 37X by GMAX. it has a shield or visor(interchangeable). but more importantly is the versitility of the helmet. very well vented for warm days or summer use, but all the vents can be closed for cooler days. it is also has a very good breath gaurd set up with a chin curtain. both are removable for summer, or warmer riding days. i think i retails for about the same as the HJC above.

http://www.g-max.com/gmax/gm37xshatteredsnow.html#

MX has my vote 100%

·
Registered
152 Posts
i wear a THH tx-10 helmet and 89xi turbo flow goggles with a thin fleece mask, the goggles fit the helmet perfectly and have yet to have a fogging issue with them even with out the nose gaurd, everythings sealed up nice and tight and I've ridden in -10 degrees and still managed to stay warm all day

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
oh i dunno if anyone reccomended it yet.

but for the goggles for less fogging look for "duel pane" or "2x pane" or "duel lens". it means the goggles have 2 lens on it and somehow it helps even more with fogging.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts