Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There,

Anyone have suggestions on the type of paint i might want to use to paint my sleds hood. We plan to do some custom flames (see Summer Project Post) on the hood of my XLTsp and due to the Cold Temps and the flexing of the hood i know i should use some good paint but i am not sure what to look for. Any Ideas welcome.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My hood was done w/ PPG paint.. any quality autmotive paint w/ a fexible primier should work fine.. the key is more in the prep. then the paint itself.. here's a couple pics.. in these pictures the paint has 4 seasons on it..

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
awsome pain job 650 indy , yep you can use any quality car paint like DUPONT..

·
Registered
567 Posts
yeah a dealer that used to live here did his with that color translusent paint it was bad ass i dont have pics but it was like $80 for a 1oz bottle of the stuff but it was worth it

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
my zr hood has 150 bucks worth of gloss black ppg paint on it. This summer i will have it redone again because of a few crack that need to be patched and filled .

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey 650Indy,

Nice paint job!! Did you do it yourself? When you talk about prep is there anything special you are referring to besides cleaning with some alchol and light sanding. I Know this will be important to get the paint to stick. I think i will go buy a thrashed hood to practice on b4 i touch the XLT.

Also after some looking around i am having a hard time finding paint samples online, so does anyone have color suggestions. Specifically i am looking for a really sharp WHITE. I know there isnt much difference in whites but i am looking for something eye catching. If there was a chameleon white of some kind that would be exactly what i am looking for. I plan on stopping at the AUTOPaint store on my way home from work to look.

·
Registered
637 Posts
No, I didn't do it myself I have the artistic talent of a 3 toe'd sloth...

yah as far as prep goes, just make sure you use a good primer and keep everything clean..

If you want sort of a chameleon white just add some pearl.. red and blue pearl always work well w/ white.. and the more clear the better..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts