Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine was a 1996 STX 583 that I got from Joe's Cycle shop in Dayton Ohio. They gave me a cover with it. The next year I got my 1997 MXZ 583 which I still have
. Hung on to the STX until Fall '98 when I sold it to a friend. 2007114185213848_14169.jpg

...And I don't mean "Daddy" got it for you. You paid for it with your own blood,sweat, and tears.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I scrimped and saved from working on the farm for a couple years when I was a kid and bought a new Mxz 583 in Nov of 1998 from Jack's in Manohmen, MN. I went to look at a used 97 that was trashed and ended up spending a little more money than I wanted but came home with a new 98. In 99 I sold the 98 and bought a new summit x 670, I will never buy a new sled again...

·
Registered
277 Posts
First new sled from a dealer was a '02 Legend 500. My wife at that time, and myself got a pair of 'em. I had the blue on blue and she had the black on silver. Great sled in their day. I'm sure there are still alot of 'em around. Yup walked out of there that day with a new 3up trailer and 2 brand new sleds, all for $13000. Spent $10000 on the one 2up sled we bought last year....LOL.....OUCH!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sgemt said:
First new sled from a dealer was a '02 Legend 500. My wife at that time, and myself got a pair of 'em. I had the blue on blue and she had the black on silver. Great sled in their day. I'm sure there are still alot of 'em around. Yup walked out of there that day with a new 3up trailer and 2 brand new sleds, all for $13000. Spent $10000 on the one 2up sled we bought last year....LOL.....OUCH!
That was a pretty good deal on your two machines and a trailer. Add maybe another 5 grand if you tried to swing that same deal today? Just a guess?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My dad has bought a lot of new sleds over the years, but his old XLT had the best story. He wanted to buy a new XLT for himself, but my mom said no we don't have the money. So, my dad bought one and hid it in a friends barn until winter. When my dad and his buddies went up riding my dads XLT had 0 miles on it. So he broke it in the right way, and had about 300 miles on it when he had bad luck. He was skipping a stream or river, and hit a dock. It bent the rails, but it kept going. It hurt him pretty bad though, he had trouble pulling the sled over on his own. Then the middle piston basically shattered.

He took it to a dealer, and they said it would be a week to get in a new jug, piston, and maybe a crank to rebuild it. But they said if my dad wanted to he could ride it as it is, since the damage was already done. So my dad put on some more miles with it blown. He said it was much harder to pull over, and since he was hurt he had to have his buddies start it for him. But he said it ran stronger on the top end. He had that motor rebuilt, and then sold it to buy the Ultra.

But the last sled he bought new was his 99 700. I think he paid 5500 for it. Needless to say, he probably won't buy another new sled again.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Good topic, my old man has bought a few new sleds and both of which were Exciters. One of them was a 89 and the other a 90. Cant buy like we used to since shelling out 10k+ is just hard to justify on something you can ride at most 6 months out of the year. I think we will stick with used these days..

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ive never bought brand new. Even when the money was there. Id rather have something that the bugs are worked out of.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
srx_600 said:
Good topic, my old man has bought a few new sleds and both of which were Exciters. One of them was a 89 and the other a 90. Cant buy like we used to since shelling out 10k+ is just hard to justify on something you can ride at most 6 months out of the year. I think we will stick with used these days..
I agree!... I have been saying for a while that they are pricing themselves out of the market place for the vast majority of riders who want mid to top line performance machines.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wish i had the money to buy a new from the dealer sled, but i agree with Brian i would rather have somthing that is already broke in instead of getting.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
1991 Tundra LT. After messing with performance sleds for years I went for a new one just to build credit and have a warranty. I put one and half seasons of trouble free riding on it and explored all the trails the bigger sleds couldn't get down. The need for speed did get to me so I sold it and got back into faster machines again, but the Tundra was the only sled I ever bought new. I'll NEVER buy new again. As stated before, the industry has priced itself out of the budget many people have that are looking for average performance sleds. I'm not a bachelor or kid living with my parents, I have bills and responsibilities that come first. Sleds simply cost too much and have not improved enough to make me think the extra cost is worth it. My xlt takes a little longer to get top the mountain top, but I do it with 10K extra cash in my pocket.

·
Registered
718 Posts
first machine was '98 XLT had alot of fun with it, till the engine blew..thrice. twice when i owned it, third was when my bro had it for a while. then the chassis started falling apart and just threw it away, still have the engine tho. been thinking of trying to put that engine in a pro-x chassis. but that will cost more $$$$

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Forgot to mention this. When I got that '96 STX in the Fall of '95, I kept thinking mine did not sit as high up as others that I saw at a dealership up in Waldo Ohio that I had just found. I inspected the thing a little more after noticing this... Found that their service people never took the S-hooks off my suspension used to hold it down during transportation in it's crate. Could you imagine if one of those things got rapped up in the drive cogs and track!... They did not walk me through things at all. If I did not stop at John's Recreational in Waldo I don't think I would have caught it. The next year I got my '97 MXZ 583 from John's Rec. They really took good care of me. Wish they were still in business.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Traded in my Indy 500, worked for two years on the farm to save and paid for the sled I still own, 00 XC 600 SP.

·
Registered
556 Posts
2007 nytro, as a leftover and got a great deal. All used before usually 1 or 2 years old. Can't say I would buy new again but if a deal is their and I can swing it, ...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts