Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to see a travelling Yamaha display today. The RX-1 was of course the main attraction. Man I was NOT impressed. The display sled was in such bad shape it was unbelievable.

To start it was leaking oil on the showroom floor. They actually had to pump out the oil resevoir while we were all standing around looking at the machine! There was, honest to God, SCOTCH tape holding one of the electrical components together. Geeze at least they coulda used Duct tape! The front bumper was missing. The plastic on the rear bumper was loose. The handlebars were adjusted down so low when you sat on the machine they actually pinned against your knees.

I know this is probably more a reflection on the guys bringing this sled around, but still it didn't give me a load of confidence. I can't help but feel that this sled was VERY rushed to market. I think this may really backfire on Yamaha if this sled doesn't live up to the hype.

One other thing that became evident was that if this thing breaks its going to be a REAL bitch to work on. ie. The whole engine block will have to be lifted to work on the manifold! Plus how many local dealers are gonna have any experience working with these things.

This sled may come out of the box rock solid and toast everything on the snow...but I can guarantee I won't be the one laying out $13000 cdn to be a test rider!!
Good luck RX-1 owners!! Maybe I'll be joing ya in a couple of years or so. But till then... big balls to ya.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
did u ever think that when there were other new things that came out that the mechanics would have any idea on how to work on em? in fargo, the REV they had on display looked like they were riding it around on the track b4, it was kinda beat up, bunch of shitty snow on it and stuff...

Give next year chance before we all give up...​

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
For Yamaha and Skidoo, that is very very poor feedback. There should be no excuse for a product to look like that...Should have gotten somone fired cheif.

GO HARD, OR GO HOME

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
don't forget cat. When I saw the F7 and F5 in person it looked like they had them end to end in the trailer cause the mud flap was like starting to do that white plastic stuff when plastic is about to break. The boards were covered in dirt. With the RX-1 you have to remember it is a preproduction model. There isn';t even metal in the front bumper just plastic. As for how will they work on it I plan to be a Snowmobile mechaninc and you want to know something? I work. I study these sleds and I am sure Yamaha will send out manuals on working on them and if I were one of those mechanics I would read that thing front to back. THat may just be me but hey there are others like me.

·
Registered
506 Posts
as a wrench head I can say that ya, they'll send out manuals to show us how to work on them. Infact, stupid as this may sound, you don't have to have much mechanical ability at all to work these days, the manufacturer sends you a book, you look in the book, do what the book tells you, and then bill the customer.

As for us not having worked on them before, how do ya figure that? like, sure we haven't worked on RX-1's before, but it's just a R1 engine, dropped into a viper frame, and the viper frame is just the SX-R frame, which is just the old SX frame, so really we've been working on every component in that sled for like, 6 years now. we've just never had them all thrown together like that. And if you're dealer isn't one that works on crotchrockets, the Raptor engine (660 thumper) is pretty similar to an R1 engine, only real difference is size and number of cylenders, but that's not much on a 4-stroke.

anyways, ya, that's a wrenches perspective

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
huh? the RX-1 has a different frame designed so the engine sits between the tunnel space. Maybe the tunnel is similar but by no means the same. The running boards are wider allowing for stand up riding with feet back farther. The inside of the tunnel houses the exhaust which is obviously something new. The front end of the frame isn't the same cause they had to mount the engine between the sides of the tunnel. Well not had to but wanted to. Its not just the same and taht is that. The skid frame is the same except for different shock mounts and shocks. But the Viper skid is different than the SXR in that it is made of lighter materials and comes with adjustable weight transfer rods stock. Also the Viper tunnel was designed lighter than the SXR as well. Not sure if it realy is but that is what Yamaha says. I really believe(haven't seen a RX-1 in person) that they have a new front frame design. Seeing as the frame is really the engine mount frame parts, and the tunnel I know the tunnel is different and Yamaha claims the front part is their Deltabox frame like they have in the street bikes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Junior:
as a wrench head I can say that ya, they'll send out manuals to show us how to work on them. Infact, stupid as this may sound, you don't have to have much mechanical ability at all to work these days, the manufacturer sends you a book, you look in the book, do what the book tells you, and then bill the customer.[/quote]

This doesn't suprise me at all, explains the general lack of mechanical skill displayed by most ski shops today...and the prime motive for doing it!

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>As for us not having worked on them before, how do ya figure that? like, sure we haven't worked on RX-1's before, but it's just a R1 engine, dropped into a viper frame, and the viper frame is just the SX-R frame, which is just the old SX frame, so really we've been working on every component in that sled for like, 6 years now. we've just never had them all thrown together like that. [/quote]

Yep that sounds familiar too...lots of things "thrown together" these days.
I think you're actually proving my point quite effectively! Overconfidence with no real experience is a formula for problems if you ask me.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>anyways, ya, that's a wrenches perspective
[/quote]

Appreciate your perspective it is certainly enlightning. Let me ask you one quick question have you even seen an RX-1 yet?

Seriously though, I don't mean to come across like an a**hole but its this very stuff that irks me. I guess I've lost my confidence in service departments. Doesn't seem to be much pride in what is being done anymore. Get your money and get out. Don't get me wrong there are some good ones out there...but they're getting harder to find. Most people I know who really CARE about their sleds learn to work on them themselves.

Anyways, you might be the best mechanic in the world, and it might REALLY be a breeze to work on an RX-1. However, those are things you rarely hear from a service department. I'll bet dollars to donuts you'll be explaining to someone that its going to cost a little more or take a little longer to fix their sled "cause its more difficult to work on". But will you have the guts to post it here when you do?

Again, don't mean this to be personal, but I can take what I give. I'm sure lots will flame me for this, but lots will agree too! Maybe I'm justed PO'ed cause of the short winter and the fact that I have a flu :)

Chiefkp

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
yeah it will maybe take a bit longer to work on but hey facts of life. I know what you mean some service departments aren't allowed to touch my sled(well if I had one). The one where my dad bought his Viper for instance. They jetted it richer and either they or yamaha had the cables on the power valves flipped so when they went to engage the cables became disconnected and the valves didn't slide. Took it to another shop and bam they caught all the problems and fixed it right up. Now where my dad bought his sled from rarely works on sleds. The owner said to us he only sells them because he gets parts and such for his at wholesale then. The other one deals heavily in sleds. And I still say the frame of the RX-1 is different. Depends on what you consider the "frame" I guess.

·
Registered
506 Posts
ya, it's cool, chief, nothing personal taken.

ya, you're right, they will take longer and be more frusttrating to work on, the point tho is there's nothing there we haven't seen before (except the deltabox frame)

and ya, Sled_dog, yer right there, I forgot about the new deltabox frame. but from what I could see of it when I was looking at it, it's pretty much just a system of braces. It should increase torsional regidity, but I don't know for sure, I'll have to take one out on the snow to know for sure.

and ya, I HAVE seen an RX-1, took a good long look at it, but I'm yet to take the ratchet to one.

ya, the viper used lighter materials pretty much all around than the SX-R did. But it was pretty much the same design, other than the hood styling, which makes little to no difference when you're working on it.

so ya, you guys are right, new frame is in, and shock mounts are different, but for most jobs, that's no a big difference.

the thing that WILL be a difference with them, is how crammed together everything is. because it's all so tight, it will mean more moving stuff around to get at other stuff.

and I'm certainly a FAR cry from the worlds best mechanic. I'm just the dealers nephew who's been doing this as long as he can remember, but I'm certainly not as good as any true factory certified mechanic.

and ya, don't worry about it chief, nothing personal taken, from what I can tell, yer not bashing me specifically, yer bashing the system in general, which is cool as far as I'm concerned.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts