Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just got a 98 rmk 600 for the wife on dec 27th used from my dealer we rode 2 times with our kids so we only put about 30-40 miles on it not even a tank of gas when we go out the 3rd time the chain snaps and kills the chain case[B)].. i call my dealer tell them what happened and ask so what kind warrnty do i get. it`s 10 days 40 miles at best and never been off the trail. they say well there is no warnty. but let me talk to my boss and i`ll get back to you in a few days when we open agian..what would you do?? whats fair??what would your dealer do?[:(][:(!][?]

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
our dealer would prolly fix it free, cuase we friends with em. but i think that ur dealer should fix it too, not even a tank of gas, like come on

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Nothing...

Used sleds are usually AS IS...

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If it was a new sled i would say it should deffinatly be covered. But since it is a used sled they probably wouldnt cover it unless maybe they reparied the chain but even then you bought a used sled so nothing is garunteed to work.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Most places usually offer at least a 30 day on used stuff, but thats not carved in stone. A good dealership will offer to repair the sled if you cover the parts. A great dealership will repair the entire issue with no cost to you ( highly unlikely ), a bad dealership will tell you to go pound salt. If they are half decent they will offer you somesort of deal on the parts so you can repair it yourself or make an arrangement so they fix it at a reduced cost or something like that. If you are mechanically inclined or have a buddy that knows sleds, changing the chaincase and internals isn't too hard, just takes a little while, I would try to get the parts at cost from the dealer ( if he is decent he will do this seeing as how you JUST bought the sled from him ) and change it out yourself, this way your not out a huge amount of cash. Either way hopefully you get somewhere with them and don't take it in the ass.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is that what your dealer would do? nothing? well i`m friends with the salesmen that sold me the sled but he has to do what the boss says.i bought a truck last jan after 28 days the back brakes screwed up . and cuz it was used i thought aww they won`t do nothing for me. i took it to the dealer and they put all new brake and cables in it FREE!!! now i know my sled deal dont have to do anything ..but give me a flipp`n brake here it 10 days old! used yes. but is that how you would run a busseness?? dont they do an inspection of used sled befor they sell them? they better do SOMETHING for me! or my ol ladys gonna snap

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by CanadianXCR
[br]Most places usually offer at least a 30 day on used stuff, but thats not carved in stone. A good dealership will offer to repair the sled if you cover the parts. A great dealership will repair the entire issue with no cost to you ( highly unlikely ), a bad dealership will tell you to go pound salt. If they are half decent they will offer you somesort of deal on the parts so you can repair it yourself or make an arrangement so they fix it at a reduced cost or something like that. If you are mechanically inclined or have a buddy that knows sleds, changing the chaincase and internals isn't too hard, just takes a little while, I would try to get the parts at cost from the dealer ( if he is decent he will do this seeing as how you JUST bought the sled from him ) and change it out yourself, this way your not out a huge amount of cash. Either way hopefully you get somewhere with them and don't take it in the ass.
so true.. i can fix it and to ebay a chain case isn`t bad .but i think they owe me a lil somthing here. the only problom i see me having doing it my self is the bolt snaped out flush that holds the bottom gear on and tha can be a pain in the a$$ to get out. i don`t know if i can get a drill in there to drill it and use a EZ out on it.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Keep in mind YOUR attitude and how you present the problem can greatly affect how they handle the situation. If you go in there screaming and yelling like a banshee they can tell you to go suck eggs because anything can happen with a used sled. If you go in there and calmly explain the issue and approach it with a good attitude you are more likely to get results. If they can't figure out something for you throw out the ideas I stated in the post above, 50/50 parts and labour OR you fix it yourself but get parts at cost OR you pay for parts and they cover labour OR vice versa. More than likely if you keep your cool and if they are decent they will do one of the above.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Look at from their view. How can they be guaranteed how you rode it. They may give you some sort of warranty but usually not.

I know it sucks.

When I buy a used sled I usually go over it with a fine tooth comb when I get home. Usually the chain case cover gets pulled and inspected.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
xcr 440. your right i would have went right through it but i thought the dealer would have so i didnt.

canadianxcr. ya i`ll keep my cool like i said the salemens a friend of mine so he knows the wifes not a hard rider and i would want to make he look like a ass. if they tell me to go suck eggs.. i`ll never walk in that store agian and i`ll tell every sledder i know how they treated me. i was thinking from my dealer it had to have had the once over so i didnt have to look at it as a guy selling vcrs out of his trunk. they did try to sell the wife a exstended warrnty. but how can that be it they don`t give you any warnty at all. i ASSumed 30 day but..

·
Registered
586 Posts
i think most dealers understand the value of "word of mouth" advertising ... if they tell you they aren't gonna cover it i would just argue with the manager and try to work out a deal .. you pay for parts .. they fix labor free ... just because you bought the sled used doesnt mean you loose all barganing power ... i would think they would work with you on it

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thats sucks ass man. They should help out some. The same thing happend when I bought a used car. A few days after getting it the engine light comes on and it says transmission component slipping. Tell them about it and get a FREE tranny rebuild kit. I never put it in and drove the car for about a year and then the tranny took a complete **** then, I sold it. Good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your stealership should fix it for you. I know in Ontario there is a 30 implied warranty on used vehicles and yes a sled is a vehicle. If they don't want to fix it, demand your money back and go buy another sled. Call the Ministry of Transport and find out details, they may be different in BC.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If in your deal with the sled the dealer was to preform a preseason check up then they should suck it up " but " if it was one of those "AS IS WHERE IS " deals it would be your turn to do the same. You never know with used sled the original owner may have put junk gears and chain in there to get the sled to sell.

Good luck and most important stay cool and have a few option to work with
1) they pay 100 %
2) 50 / 50
3)$100 back and you fix it

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would certainly try and negotiate something with them, 50/50 at the least.

If you end up doing it yourself, The suspension is going to have to come out, along with the driveshaft- that is the shaft the bolt is broken in. Its possible, but unlikely, you could get it off where it is, but you will probly have to take off the belly pan-not fun either.

All in all that broken bolt is going to be the biggest problem with the repair, and just for that I would especially try to have them do it, cuz its going to be a real pain if you have to.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
It all depends on the dealer!! One of the larger ones I deal with would've said "tough chit", one of the smaller ones I deal with covered the labor when my ol ladies 93 XLT ate a pto bearing a week after we bought it, and there was NO warranty whatsoever!! Some times a smaller dealer can't match a larger ones prices, but alot of times they make up for it in customer service...

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Any good and reasonable dealer will come to some sort of an agreement with you, as long as you are reasonable, too. No, it is not their responsibility if there was no warranty, but it is just the right thing to do. Technically, if there was no warranty, they wouldn't have to do anything. But, also they don't want you going around bad-mouthing them. And hopefully they want your business back.

My uncle owns a Ford and Chrysler dealership. If somebody buys a used vehicle and something goes wrong with it in a reasonable amount of time, he fixes it. For free. Why? He says it is just the right thing to do.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Most dealers go through used sleds around here.
If it was me I would talk to the owner and at least see if he would give you a discount on the parts.They probably won't pay for all the repair just a chance everyone takes with used sleds.
Hope everything works out for ya.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Most likely you are outta luck. Most used sleds are sold, "as is".
Think about it this way, how does the dealer know that you didnt abuse the sled? Not everyone in the world is honest and would try to take advantage of a dealer like that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts