Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this board and have some yamaha questions. Owned a 1980 Exciter 440 for ten years and had good luck with it. Had a 1985 SRV 540 and got divorsed at it went. So now I am looking to buy a used sled for this season. I dont want to spend alot of cash. I will hand this on down to my son and pick up a newer one next year. I was looking at a 92 750 4. I was told these were too heavy. I was told the 94 vmaxs were bad on distance you can ride on a tank of fuel. I need a sled with a good rear suspension. I am 6.1 300 lbs. I dont mind installing a newer 10 suspension. Never done it but not afraid too. I heard the 570s had engine problems. Any help you could give i would like to hear. Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
750 is a nice sled. they get 10 to 12 mpg they ride nice just dont get stuck! they are a little heavy!700 sx triple's are nice sleds.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Avoid any Yamaha (other than a Phazer) with a twin-cylinder engine. A triple is the only way to go.
Id go for a '97 or newer, the ProAction sleds ride and handle a lot better than the old Pogo Yammies did.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
ya only if u have a twin with smart carbs have i seen problems and my dad had a vmax 4 750 great power and all but his sled liked to blow pistons and rings and shred the odd belt or two.
octane where are u getting some of this info on yammies because some of it is plain wrong and way off such as yamaha always having bad hyfax wear. prove this to me please and suspension jsut falling right apart are u sure this isn't your buddies sled who just happend to be an unlucky one?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by roughrider99
[br]octane where are u getting some of this info on yammies because some of it is plain wrong and way off such as yamaha always having bad hyfax wear. prove this to me please and suspension jsut falling right apart are u sure this isn't your buddies sled who just happend to be an unlucky one?
No kidding...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
[br]ya only if u have a twin with smart carbs have i seen problems and my dad had a vmax 4 750 great power and all but his sled liked to blow pistons and rings and shred the odd belt or two.
octane where are u getting some of this info on yammies because some of it is plain wrong and way off such as yamaha always having bad hyfax wear. prove this to me please and suspension jsut falling right apart are u sure this isn't your buddies sled who just happend to be an unlucky one?
I was a regular poster on TotallYamaha for years when I owned a Yamaha sled.
Yamaha started having problems with bad hyfax wear ever since the ProAction chassis came out in '97.
As far as suspensions falling apart, well, lets see. How about the ProAction sleds that were known for the w-arms cracking? Or how about the '03 and newer sleds that are known for idler wheel delamination? How about the '05 RX-1s that were known for bushings going bad every year and needing replacement?
If you want the proof, all you have to go is read the posts on TY.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]
[br]ya only if u have a twin with smart carbs have i seen problems and my dad had a vmax 4 750 great power and all but his sled liked to blow pistons and rings and shred the odd belt or two.
Yamaha started having problems with bad hyfax wear ever since the ProAction chassis came out in '97.
As far as suspensions falling apart, well, lets see. How about the ProAction sleds that were known for the w-arms cracking? Or how about the '03 and newer sleds that are known for idler wheel delamination? How about the '05 RX-1s that were known for bushings going bad every year and needing replacement?
Hmmmm....I AM a regular poster at TY and i own THREE P/A yammies
and don't have one of those issues,hmmm lucky i guess.

as far as the hyfax is concerned it's all on how to you set up
your skid(and i'm not getting in to that here) new
slides wear at a faster rate when new then stop when they get
to a certain point. not an issue with me,matter of fact my XTC
there in my avatar i just replaced the slides early last year
i could have ran them longer but i wanted a piece on mind and
not worry so i swapped then out the sled had over 2,6xxx miles on it.

"W" arms,, well call me luck again because i pound 'em and can't
seem to break one,,dunno....i've yet to see a problem with '03
idler wheel's too that's a new one to me.('03 wheels are the
same as my '98,'99 and '02 ones)

yes some '04 or '05 had bearing issues on the secondary pto
shaft not a big issue to me,easy to get at easy to fix..

we can find faults on every sled even your Polaris there..
moving on now......

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hyfax wear has always been alittle rough on the later model yammies but nothing unbearable. As for W-Arms, we have about 5 around the shop and ALL of them are either welded to hell or they have a crack in it. This is due to the fact of bottoming out the suspension and the energy needs to go somewhere so the W-arm will crack and break. You are better off running without those rubber boots in there because it gives your W-arm that much more room to stop it's motiion. We just made up some aluminum ones that we are going to test out very shortly. 3.9 pounds lighter with the W-arm alone.

[attachment=55633]
[attachment=55634]
[attachment=55635]

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
For a 300lbs guy looking for a "older" yami.....I would not be afraid of the Vmax4 as an option. I would stay away from the 92. 1st year and had their little issues, but many guys got tons of miles out of them when left stock. If a vmax 4 is in the mix...93-94 was decent, and 95 and above are always thought of as the best. Toss a poraction in the back (or what ever) and you have a darn nice sled. Yes, heavy...But a guy your size should have no problem tossing that around. I'm 5'10 and 200lbs and I love mine. Not the best on gas. Or...Like said, go to a newer tripple. Have nothing against the twins, But for a few dollars more you can move up a generation and worth every penny in my oppinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]
As far as suspensions falling apart, well, lets see. How about the ProAction sleds that were known for the w-arms cracking? Or how about the '03 and newer sleds that are known for idler wheel ? How about the '05 RX-1s that were known for bushings going bad every year and needing replacement?

Well here's a tidbit of current info for you, the 03/04 idlers are great not any problems, its the 05 with the new MONO suspension that have delamination idlers, reason being the bearing and idlers are crap, small plastic not rubber, they had to reduce weight somewhere and they chose to go cheap on the idlers. Yamaha is aware of the problem but there's been no recall in Canada for them. The idlers on the 05/06 heat up and literally within 20 KM's they blow, if you compare the 03/04 idlers they are plastic and rubber much heavier duty and cost less to replace then the 05/06's, I just replaced my neighbours 05 idlers with 04's. I run an 04 and have had not one problem with the idlers in 5400kms. As per the suspension again not the best out there but if you look after and maintain your equipment properly it won't let you down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bought a 95 Vmax 600 off Ebay. Got it home today. Thanks for the sugestions. Hoping for 3 in of snow tomorrow just to give it a quick blast before my trip to Wisconsin in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I bought an 03 viper and am very pleased with it. My buddy bought an 05 800 renegade and I can beat him across the lakes around here. he also sucks at trail riding so I have no problem with him there. the harder you ride the proaction suspensions the better they work. I am a very aggresive rider so I guess it depends on your riding style. Good luck with the sled search

1 - 13 of 13 Posts