Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the only info I could find on it...

Elan
TYPE: 248
Model No. 299-4422

I would like to find out what year it is, so I can get the corect parts and service/parts book.

Maybe these pics will help ID it?!... Thanks
Motor vehicle Vehicle Sidecar Car Vintage car

Snowmobile Vehicle Footwear Grass Lawn

Vehicle Snowmobile Grass Racing

I know I'm going to need a gasket kit for it...And I'm sure I will need more than that.

Attachments

· Registered
538 Posts
there should be a metal tag riveted on towards the back of the tunnel on the right side (sitting on sled). thats how my elan was. but in any case most elans are pretty much exactly the same except for the engine, which will either be a 247 single or the 248 twin you have there.

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ilive4snow700 said:
there should be a metal tag riveted on towards the back of the tunnel on the right side (sitting on sled). thats how my elan was. but in any case most elans are pretty much exactly the same except for the engine, which will either be a 247 single or the 248 twin you have there.
Yep, Your right. Just found it. The tags had been painted over. After some scraping, I found that it is a '77 and yes it is a twin with a single carb.

Things that look to be in good shape: bogies, skis, seat, clutch, throtle, brake, body, track is in great shape, drive sprocket, body is in fair shape, I will repair the hood.

The primary work will be the engine. I hope all I have to do on the engine is the top end.

I have never had to deal with any crank/seal issues before. Would a problem there be obvious before I do the top end work? I don't know how it was running when my friends kids were last using it several years ago.

In addition to the mechanical and body work I do on it, I would like to give it a new paint job!
...What do you guys think!... mild[/color=hotpink] or wild[/color=limegreen]?

ilive4snow700 said:
Great biography ilive4snow700! I understand your passion for the Elan now:)
I encourage other members to read his biography. I feel guilty now. I don't even have one[beatup]

· Registered
538 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
ilive4snow700 said:
Yep, Your right. Just found it. The tags had been painted over. After some scraping, I found that it is a '77 and yes it is a twin with a single carb.

Things that look to be in good shape: bogies, skis, seat, clutch, throtle, brake, body, track is in great shape, drive sprocket, body is in fair shape, I will repair the hood.

The primary work will be the engine. I hope all I have to do on the engine is the top end.

I have never had to deal with any crank/seal issues before. Would a problem there be obvious before I do the top end work? I don't know how it was running when my friends kids were last using it several years ago.

In addition to the mechanical and body work I do on it, I would like to give it a new paint job!
...What do you guys think!... mild[/color=hotpink] or wild[/color=limegreen]?

ilive4snow700 said:
Great biography ilive4snow700! I understand your passion for the Elan now:)
I encourage other members to read his biography. I feel guilty now. I don't even have one[beatup]

thank you. although my elan has been junked several years ago, the engine still lives on in a honda Odyssey.
javascript:insertEmoticon('[thumb]',%20'ctl00_PageContent_ReplyCurrentTopic_Message')
go wild, an elan with an insane paint job would be awesome.

as for the crank seals, they are worth doing if you already have it apart. they are cheap and it will save you a headache in the long run. a motor with bad crank seals is a PITA to tune or get to run at all.

· Registered
2,427 Posts
They're a fun little sled to ride.
Here's a pic of my 1973 SkiDoo Elan parked by my Phazer.
Snowmobile Snow Vehicle Winter sport Sled

Here is a link to a guy with a lot of old SkiDoo parts and he's also a pretty good source for answers.
http://www.reproductionvintageparts.com/

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a cool video I just found of some Elans sometimes doing some crazy stuff. There is one bazar clip in here where it looks like the rear axle popped out of the tunnel and flung forward[:0]... check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arh__vKbFvI

brian126 said:
They're a fun little sled to ride.
Here's a pic of my 1973 SkiDoo Elan parked by my Phazer.
Snowmobile Snow Vehicle Winter sport Sled

Here is a link to a guy with a lot of old SkiDoo parts and he's also a pretty good source for answers.
http://www.reproductionvintageparts.com/
[thumb]Thankyou!
According to that site, I have a black 250 Deluxe the other Elan made that year was the white one with a single cylinder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.