Snowmobile Fanatics banner

What year??

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  DITCH-BANGER 
#1 ·
I have been talking to a few of you about a used Indy 600 I bought 2 years ago thinking it was an 83. Turns out that the engine is for sure an 83 per the tag under the exhaust manifold but have been told that the sled is likely to be an 86 or 87. I looked on the tunnel on the right (throttle) side and found a # with approx 6 to 8 digits but they are a bunch of ones, some zeros, and then some threes none of which indicate a year (I'm looking for a 2 or 4 digit year correct? ie 86 or 1986). If anyone is familiar with these numbers that I am talking about and know where they are....where is the number indicating the year of the sled in proportion to these numbers?
--Thanks for any insight.[attachment=50469][attachment=50470]

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Underneath the vin # should give you the date of manufacturing and if that is missing call a Polaris dealer with the vin # and they can tell you what year it is. I had the same problem with my '00 RMK's I just purchased and this is the route I took. Not very familiar with sleds but it might help ya.

#4 ·
The 83 engine didnt have oil injection check this first the tag can be changed and stuck back on the block. Dont have a book for the years above 1982. From 82 and down the first 3 numbers are the year eg 080 = 1981 081 = 81 082 = 82. There should be a model number also a VIN number . The model number will tell you the year.

#5 ·
By oil injection do you mean the seperate bottle that hold oil (as opposed to mixing the oil and gas myself and putting in the tank?) My sled DOES have a seperate oil bottle.

#7 ·
Thanks for all your input guys......I think I have Frankensteins monster here but Dr. Frankenstein did a very good job of putting this one together thankfully. The engine tag says 83 but it is not,... due to the oil injection. (maybe the block only is an 83?). Also, that "polarisman" website is pretty cool, based on the pics it looks like mine is an 85 or 87, the 86 just looks too different from mine (at least in the pic). I sent out my clutch to be matched-up to get a replacement one and the guy ended up setting me up with an openfaced one with a forged spider assy instead of a cast one (total cost of $190) it is a rebuilt unit but this still will be better and safer than the cracked one I had. When I go out to pick it up next weekend I think I will take my sled with me so the guy can help me find the numbers on it so I can finally figure out what year the body is.

#8 ·
If the first two numbers on the engine are 83, then the motor was probably originally in an '84 sled, thus having oil injection. Correct?

Also, would it not be possible to add oil injection to a non oil injection motor? I cannot believe nobody would have done that in the mid '80s to an early '80s sled.

#12 ·
Originally posted by yamarx1
[br]Dont think 83 have the drive on the crank for oil pump ,cases also were not drilled for pump. But you never know who did what . Still think its a 84 - 87 engine with an 83 tag stuck on it.
But if it is an 83 engine, it would have oil injection, since oil injection came out in the '84 model year, right?

The engine tag on my dad's '86 Indy 600 starts with 85-.

#14 ·
Sorry yamarx1, I think we were misunderstanding each other, but basically agree.

Okay. Both the engine and the hood point to the machine being a '84. Now, I think we need a better picture of the side of the tunnel, to see if it is the tapered '86+ or the straight '85-.

#15 ·
[br]Yes 83 didnt have oil injection. 84 was the first year for oil injection for polaris. If you have an oil pump / oil tank and dont mix oil with the fuel you dont have an 83 engine.
Are you referring to just the 600 triple here or are you referring to all Polaris sleds? All 1983 Indy Trails had oil injection. That sled has the 432 fan (which was actually almost the same motor from the 1982 Free-Air motor). The engine model was EC44-2PM-2100. I do not know if 1982 sleds had it though. Also, He has the sharper angled tunnel.

Pics:
[attachment=41216]

Attachments

#17 ·
The tunnel IS tapered and I will get a couple side pics in the next day or 2 (been a busy week). It has been repainted and the graphics appear to be most or all aftermarket (I know the pinstriping is not O.E.). The trailing arms are square/rectangular. Also. the seat has embroidered in it "Polaris Indy 600" and the seat is black with a blue band thru it. Again...thanks for the help and interest. What the heck...maybe I'll go get a couple pics now if there is enough room in the garage to get some good ones.

#18 ·
[br]Would like to see a pic of the trailing arm on your sled chadd are they square or oval ?
Thanks
Mine has the older oval trailing arms with the adjustable torsion bar. It even has the front track spring adjustment like the 90's XCR have.
[attachment=41217]
[attachment=51099]
[attachment=51100]

Attachments

#19 ·
^^^^^ Nice looking 1983 Indy Trail.

#21 ·
Originally posted by DITCH-BANGER
[br]^^^^^ Nice looking 1983 Indy Trail.
Thanks!
That sled is blast to ride on the trail. Sometime I need to get the handlebars rebent, because it is hard to steer. The only thing I didn't like about it was the shallow tunnel angle. If you get in deep snow in a ditch, it hangs up on the running boards even though the track is still digging. I am not sure if it was clutched or what, but it really rips good on hardpack. On grass, It will lift the front end at least a foot and hold it until it reaches 40 mph. Best part is it handles like a little race sled. Through some tight woods up north I was able to stay right with an Indy 650, and an Indy 500. Still kicks the you know what out of my 96 Indy 500 in the twisties. I always thought it would be "interesting" to transplant a 550cc fan in it, but decided it would detract from the fact that it is completely stock and will be an antique in a few years. Hard to believe it is older than me!

#23 ·
Chadd, I had a 1987 Indy 400 YEARS ago. . . sold it in 1991 for a 650. I got it new as a kid in high school. I loved that sled. Those old "low" indy chassies handle the trails great. Leave her original. [:)]

As in my response to your other post muddog, I believe it looks like a 1986 or 1987 chassie with maybe different year pieces here and there. Nice sled anyways.

Mmmmmm, this gets me thinking of a project sled in my near future. A 1987 Indy 600 (last year of the original Indy 600). Or maybe a Indy Centurion 500 or Indy 500 tripple. I am gonna have to think about that. [8D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.