Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your scariest sled story of something that happened out of your control, or not possible to avoid.

I was riding on the river and I see what apears to be a drift over the river, no big deal right just hit it and go over, so I didn't slow down much. As I got closer I started to realize it was a drop off. Still no big deal, I jump off them all the time. Well I get closer and then realized there was a big gap of open water between the dropoff and the lower ice, where after I went back and looked the ice had been breaking off because the river level dropped, and I figured even with the studs there is no way I can stop so I gunned it and hoped I could jump it. I went off and figured I was alright and I landed on the otherside, but it was thin enough there I broke through but it must have been shallow or something because I only broke through about 4-5 inches and it stop dropping and I drove of it and got onto solid dirt. Now that was scary but was scared me later and really shouldn't is I went back and looked at the drop off and as far back as I could see there was about 1-2ft between the bottom of the ice and the new water level.

One of the reasons I don't like riding on rivers, but I do it anyway.

So lets here what you guys have.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
When I hit where they plowed a road on a lake and rolled my sled. I went out for a joy ride before I had to go to work on my 21st b-day. All the bumps and clumps were camoflaged with a fresh dusting of snow. I was going 55-60 across the lake that I've gone across 200 times. I saw the road about 15' in front of my and all I could do was bail off the left side of the sled. My sled went about 10'-12' in the air and rolled about 5-6 times. I ended up with a torn rotator cuff and a broken wrist and VERY sore muscles all over my body. Sled was obviously totalled.

Another time I was screwing around in some drifts by the peninsula on the lake. The water going off the point is only a couple feet deep and has some pretty good current going under it. A couple cars/trucks go down every year there. I went to make a loop to turn around and waited for my buddy to hit a drift and looked down and saw the bottom of the lake. The ice looked to be about 2-3" thick. Of course I had no studs and it was pure glare ice, so I just sat there and spun. I literally had to push the track sideways to get the track onto a little patch of snow to get it to move. I didn't go back in that area again.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Hmmmm...

Ripping down a trail at around 100mph up in tug hill, trying to keep ahead of my buddies new Fusion 900. Hit a mogul and had my right side trailing arm snap off, and having the sled take a sharp left toward the woods.

I survived without permanent damage, but the sled wasn't so lucky..

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well, mines a river story to and I guess I could have avoided it a little bit if I hadn't being trying to see how fast my sled was going but s**t happens right... So my dad, his friends, and I take off down this river from a bar. It was a relatively straight river and we were averaging about 75-80 mph. Well after a straight stretch of about 100mph on the dream - o - meter I came into this corner a little hot, but if it had been like ever other bend in the river, I would have been fine, but this corner decided it was going to be bare ice about half way through. So here I am, breaking trying to slow down, really can't steer and I now notice this a patch of rocks sticking through the ice in the direction I'm heading... So I kinda let off the breaks and focus on trying to manuever away from the rocks that are coming up really quick. I ended up clipping one of the rocks with my left ski which just about threw my sled on its side, in a last minute effort to keep it from flipping, I baled stage left... well atleast I tried to. My left foot ended up getting stuck in the footwell, so basically I ended up getting drug down the river at about 60 mph. After trying to get my boot unstuck for what seemed like eturnity, I finally found it in me to grab the bars and pull myself back onto the machine.

Guess I came out kind of lucky, only thing broken on the sled was the carbide and the only thing broken on me was my pride and eventually a really wet pair of jeans after all the snow in my snowpants began to melt...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have no hardcore story's other then over estimating a jump, near the Crandon Dirt Track and pulling a few rib muscles. And scared the shit outta my dad who I almost landed on. And I almost always get hit by a car at least 5 times a season. :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
let's see, there have been way too many......here's a couple

Watch someone start a slide, watch the person and sled come down the hill. Luckily he was not buried, just bruised up. Then spent all night getting him and what was left of the sled back to the truck. Could have been a lot worse.

Last year I stop at a right angle turn in trail. The turn was there because of a 30ft drop. One of the young bucks behind me was going way too fast, just brushed my leg, skidded the side of my machine and over the drop he went. Again luckily the snow was deep and nobody was hurt. Except when I went and pounded some sense into him.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I dont ride like an idiot..and I am always in control of my sled. I always know the area Im riding. So I have no stories like you guys do.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
SKYDE said:
a really wet pair of jeans after all the snow in my snowpants began to melt...
Yeah, right, [thumb] we believe that was from snow...

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
arcticcatinc said:
I dont ride like an idiot..and I am always in control of my sled. I always know the area Im riding. So I have no stories like you guys do.
You are 21. I find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
268 Posts
arcticcatinc said:
If you always have that much controll of you sled you must be doing 25 mph all the time I know when I'am doing 100+ I think I'am in controll but that can change really quick.......

·
Registered
718 Posts
when i was 15 yrs old, had a 98 xlt at the time. low visibility conditions. was cloudy, couldn't be able to tell what was land and what was the sky. was cruising along at 90-100 mph west of where i live. i thought the area ahead of me was all flat. to my dismay, i was headed for a river...and some rivers here, creeks esp, have natural ramps that are steep. was heading at one at 90-100 mph...ran into it, didn't smash into it, just jumped off. hit my chin on the handlebars, got knocked out fell off my snowmachine and landed akwardly and broke my leg. this was in april when it started to get warm. Unfortunately a blizzard was starting, and no one knew where i was going. was out there for 5 hours. i couldn't get up and goto my snowmachine. so i just lay there. had hyperthermia and was real cold...i thought i was gonna die...everyone was looking for me in the wrong places, east, north, and south of where i was. when i was found, i had a blanket of snow up to my waist. my oldest cousin found me. picked me up and sat me on his snowmachine and brought me home. to this day i have a steel rod in my right femur. i'm real lucky to be here today. thank God that i'm still here...that was one of my scariest moments. since then, i've learned to be a better driver and careful of your speed when visibility is reduced. never know what you might run into.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
arcticcatinc said:
I am always in control of my sled.
LOL, now that's funny.. [thumb]

You must have never left the garage then.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
arcticcatinc said:
huh. So you put around on the trails with the wife and kids all day? I understand that theres a difference between riding and riding like and idiot but that was one of the most redicolous statements ive seen in a while. If you ride a sled youve been out of control before. Snowmobiling is a very high performance sport, you wouldnt be involved in it if you didnt treat it as such considering your riding a sabercat 700. Maybe I would beleive that statement if you where riding a 550 fan. Maybe you dont have a big scare story but one day you will get one, and I garuntee youve been a little scared because it got away from you a little bit. It happens, and you dont have to get all up-tight about it.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I have had a few.

First ride that year, hit a steel rod that was completely covered with fresh snow in a ditch I had been in at least a 1000 times, rolled the sled and hurt myself badly enough I couldn't get back on by myself. My buddies that were with me helped me roll it over again and get on.

My sled got backed over in the parking lot at the gas station while I was on it. Pulled up to the second pump from the end to fill up the sled and head out with my buddies. In front of me was this white Ford truck and an elderly man, I just shut the sled off and was talking to my buddy who was pulled up on the otherside as the man got in his truck. He then proceded to put the truck into gear. He must have put it into reverse by mistake because there wasn't anyone in front or any reason to back up. Needless to say the sled ended up under the truck and my left thump and right hand suffered a little damage.

New sled at the beginning of last season, I was out testing out what it could do in some deep drifts, started climbing a pile going really fast thinking I could just lean right and the sled would tip and carve out away for the tree line. It didn't react the way I thought it should and had to dodge through the tree line with out hitting anything. Luckly made it through there with out any problems.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
arcticcatinc said:
^ Sounds boring. I bet you don't leave the yard either just in case/

Sadly I have no bad stories that were out of my control. I smashed my face up pretty good on the arctic cat but that was my fault [thumb]

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
A few..nothing awsome though! [thumb]

-Hit a rock the groomer dug into the ground at 50mph that ejected me straight off the seat. not even a bruise! :p

-Tried to "carve" and got going too fast, fell off, slid, my helmet dug into the ground and eventually stopped, then i flipped over my head...paid a visit to the chiropractor the next day!

-Riding on the same sled as my dad 4/5 years ago around the yard. he had been jumping a drift and when it was my turn I of course wanted to jump the drift too. well I did but didnt know what I was doing and pinned the throttle! he had to grab the brake, we landed really hard, fell off the sled together. Needless to say, I was scared S***less!

AND I can't wait to have some more stories this year!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a few stories....

when i was a lot younger, probably 13 or so i was out for a ride at night with my dad on the lake we live on. As we all know it is very hard to judge height of snow and snow banks at night when it is dark. We are going along and i had no idea that up head was a road that the local guys plowed out for ATV races on the ice. Well im going along on my old 370 about 40mph or so and hit the snow bank that hey created when plowing out the road. The thing took me completely by surprise i went flying in the air lost my balance, my feet slipped but i kept hold of the handlebars. In short i ended up doing my own version of a super man and smashed my head on the handlebars when i came down.

another time i was about the same age and someone had set up a jump up north near a lake. i took it once and got some pretty decent air...when back for seconds took it at a weird angle..the sled went up and when it came down i fell off bashed my head on the bumper and my sled kept going...

and last year my dad and i were riding on the lake...we came to a pressure ridge and followed some existing to a place to cross. He went first, the other side looking sketchy but still solid and there were tracks on the ice..he went over and went down. middle of a lake with no one around and no cell service. his sled was in about 5 ft of water resting on an ice shelf...when me dad moved the shelf moved as well and he started to go down. he was able to get back to safe but the sled was still in the water. I had to leave and find another place to cross, jumped my sled across the water went over and attached a rope to his sled. We were able to tow the sled back out and get him out safely but soaked. my dad almost lost his sled but more importantly i was close to losing my dad....

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
in 97' was riding down the ditch that was used as a trail. been on it hundreds of times. it was one of them days where you went in and out of fog. at times you had sun and great visibility and then a moment later you could see 50'. i was riding pretty hard right as i went into the fog i saw a van next to me on the highway. i looked at them and then looked ahead. at the last second a deep or tall driveway came out of the fog. BAM. i flew, sled was pointing straight up and i had no idea where i was going to land. the sled landed and bounced a couple times, with my glasses giggling i wasnt even able to react. i didnt even let off the gas, landed full throttle, looked left and i thought the passenger of the van was going to have a heart attack.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
The first time I crossed open water and not on purpose[:0]

Was close to Thesselon, Ontario. Came around this curve all line by big pine trees, so you could not see around the bend. As I made the bend I saw Thesselon River was wide open. I didn't think I could stop so I just pinned it and made it fine. Had to make the call in a split second though. That was the longest 1/2 second in my life. My nephew riding behind me was able to stop. He did not want to cross. He went down stream where it was not open to make the cross.

Made it fine though and crossed it coming back. My nephew crossed it on the way back also.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
SKYDE said:
a really wet pair of jeans after all the snow in my snowpants began to melt...
Yeah, right, [thumb] we believe that was from snow...
[Imaposer] Yeah that comment just made my day.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts