Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i've been thinking on buying a 95 zr580 for quite sometime now and it is summer and i can get it cheep so now is the time to decide. I have two friends, one has a 2003 mxz500 liquid cooled and the other has a 99 zl600 EFI.the zl is studded but the ski-doo isn't. No mods done to either sleds. They like to brag alot so i want to beat them. What do you think would win? The 580 is done up wild. IT has a new 1 inch track with 144 black dagger studs, Clutch kit, geared down, Full D&D exhaust, ported , heads milled, Wiseco 633 big bore kit with balanced chrome pistons, and the carbs are bored. Whad ya think would win?[red][/red]

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
That ZR should smoke those other sleds..How much he want for it??

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just a couple of considerations.

How much is it geared down? If it is geared for 500/660' then you probably won't have the top end for a longer "across the lake race".

I noticed that you said it had chrome pistons, are you sure?

If it is heavily modified then it will have a very high engagement rpm, a narrow power band, and be really hard on fuel and belts.

Modifications are only as good as the person who setup the combination. It could be a total screamer or a total dog. Have you ever seen the sled run?

If you just want it to drag race your buddies then it should do the trick. Then again it wouldn't take much to beat a stock unstudded MXZ500 (no offence intended against skidoo they are good sleds).

A heavily modded sled will be a pain if you intend to trail ride it at all.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
my 95 zr 580 with black magic heart throb clutch kit and a studded track walks all over a firecat f5 and keeps up with an f7 till about 75mph then it leaves me. but with a sled that heavily modded your looking for problems.to me saying you have that sled with all the mods is just a bragging rights.ide try to find a stock higherpowered sled then do the stuff you want to it without reducing reliability

·
Registered
528 Posts
Bobinwi,

A stock ZR580 should be faster than stock ZL600 shouldn't it? (given that both are equally studded)

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
yes it should be faster the zr's and zrt's were made to perfom more then the zl's. But one other thing comes into play, a properly tuned carb against an efi? or a not properly tuned carb against an efi that would make all the difference in the world

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He wants 2000 canadien for it. I called him to look at it last night and come to find out hes giving me a fully rebuilt zr 700 engine to go with it. He's a licensed machinist so i imagin he know what he doin. right now he has the 700 in it but has the 633 engine too. I'm going to look at it tonight. He claims it pulls like a bastard all the way up to 95mph, and it will do over a 100mph. He says he prefers the 633 modified over the 700.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts