Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 xlt 600 with just over 4000 miles on it. im looking to gain some power and a nice sound. was wondering if i would be better to put a set of triple pipes or a can would be better. planing on doing a clutch upgrade also. looking at dyno port pipes can and clutch. thank for any and all input

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
pipes

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Add pipes, jet for the pipes, and clutch for the pipes. After that add fuel and oil and ride it. Check plugs fairly often to make sure it's running good.

·
Registered
454 Posts
depends on what your after, once u pipe it the power u want will up on the top end. if u want little bottom and mid range then i would sujest staying with single and do the can and clutch kit. just my opion. Both the Storm has DG with DG silencers and the RXL has Aaen pipes with built in silencers. Both sleds are clutched and geared. The Storm is getting motor work and Aaen pipes this summer and both are getting upraded suspensions. Still cheaper than new sled and still got two that a way. Ohhhh the RXL has a custom chip in it also. If it were me, id reserch the can and go with clutch kit and gearing, have a great day

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Can's don't do performance, only noise.

Pipe it, and clutch and jet it to match the pipes. Then plan in rebuilding it every couple years.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can= convert power to noise! waste of money, the amount of weight you will loose wont make up for the power you lost with just a can. you want more power to go faster get the power to the ground with clutching! what ever you do dont buy a EPI kit. put a Dg on my xlt went about 4 miles and turned around and went home to take it off. made fun ever since DG= Dont go

·
Registered
114 Posts
ON my 01 mxzx 800 when i removed the after market Can and replaced with stock thier was an impressive uptick in torque and the sled was noticeable quicker, faster, on my 03 Sno Pro with a highly modified 968cc D&D engine, D&D twin pipes & can 195hp, with twin D&D pipes and modified stock muffler,(instead of single exhaust inlet modified that twin pipes fit also half gutted) produces 173hp hope that helps, i'd go with the twin pipes with matching quiet can and clutch kit and jet to pipes.
201022113138648_31255.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

Pipe it, and clutch and jet it to match the pipes. Then plan in rebuilding it every couple years.
just wondering why i will have to rebuild it every couple years?

·
Registered
572 Posts
rockstar7 said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

just wondering why i will have to rebuild it every couple years?
me too???

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
rockstar7 said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

[highlight=yellow]just wondering why[/highlight=yellow] i will have to rebuild it every couple years?
I totally agree with Poo_ Kid. When you add horse power, lets say 30HP to a 110HP motor you also add [highlight=red]extra stress[/highlight=red] on the motor. If (and the guys - gals with dirt bikes will relate with this)you want to keep the horse power and performance fresh, you will at the very least be replaceing pistons and rings.

And by the way PIPES ARE the only way to go!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The XLT was a very inexpensive and fairly high powered sled, that propelled Polaris to nearly 40% market share with it's popularity after it's release.

It was made inexpensively by building the engine as cheaply as possible, and powering it right at the ragged edge. Then they backed off the power by using a single pipe instead of a triple pipe, instead of building the engine itself stronger to handle the power it was capable of generating.

When you add the pipes to the engine, it puts the power generation back into the area where it stresses the cheaply built internal components, and wears them out fairly quickly. You wear out the pistons, twist the cranks, and if you bore and port it you can actually start twisting the crank cases.

If you rarely use the power it can last a long time, but if you ride everywhere at WOT the engines will usually not last long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts