Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not very knowledgeable about older snowmobiles, so lets discuss what are some of the best sleds ever made in the past........like 1970's or 80's etc... What are some of the fastest?

Last season i got a chance to drive a 1979 Ski-doo Blizzard 9500 Plus and boy was i in for a surprise. That thing was fast!!! Liquid cooled and twin pipes were stock? Fun on long straight-aways. All the other oldies i had driven were slow, but this thing seemed out of the ordinary. So, i'd like to know what other sleds of the past blast fast.....

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
lol......some of those old sleds id be scared to go fast on.....u got bout 3 inches of rear suspension travel, and that is the cushion in the seat...lol......my 74 panther did like 50 or 60 i figure....if i do my rough estimates right...

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
From the 70's i would put my vote in for the Mercury Sno-Twister....very fast sled for its time

Early 80's would be either the Ski-Doo Blizzard as MegaMan has stated or else the John Deere Liquifire light weight liquid cooled 440 or possibly the Kawasaki Invader or Intruder...i cant rem which of those 2 kawasaki's was the better one.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Don't forget about the old Rupp Nitro.I knew a guy with a 77 and that was a very sweet machine for the time.The coolant was piped through the front bumper too.Pretty wild.

my brain hurts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Invader was available in 340 or 440 liquid.Intruder was a 440 ytwin carb fan cooled version.Had a rider friend with a 79 440 invader.He looked cool at 90mph on the lake with his skies dangleing in front.

·
Registered
134 Posts
the rupp nitro's were fast sleds..my freind had a 76 el tigre quick little sled...my dad's 80 panther we topped it out at about 60 65 the...we had a rupp nitro...i liked the hoods on them they were unique for back in the day

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I had an 76 alouette super brute it was very fast. The Ski-roule with the sachs motor was very fast. The mercury co. had several really fast sleds. There was a skidoo TNT 640 in the early 70's But the fastest was the old Polaris Centurion. I had 4 or 5 of them. They were the first triple triple liquids that started a legacy. Imagine going 100 mph plus on a sled with leaf spring suspension and a ski width of probably 3 feet. I can tell you its a rush. Oh and that sound....
I just remembered there was an early 70s polaris triple 800 free air. I never saw one running but they must have been fast. There was also a liquid cooled sled called a chapparelle that was fast. as for the eighties it was the venerable 600 and 650 indy's

·
Registered
614 Posts
My brother had a 76? motoski TS 400 Super Sport , really fast,I had it up to 95mph just before the belt blow off,
and don't forget SUPER SONIC & ULTRA SONIC by MOTOSKI.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hmmm, I'd have to go with the John Deere 440 Liquifire and the old Yamaha SRX 440 l/c. Man that sled flies!!! A buddy of mine has one in mint condition. Super fast sled.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
243 Posts
My vote is the "79 Kawasaki 440 invader. That sled was scary fast with almost no suspension. It would take a beating pretty well to. Maybe thats the ditch banging sled for the other post!!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've always heard good things about those John Deere snowmobiles, why aren't they in the business anymore? Competition was too tough perhaps..?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yeah they were great sleds, we used to have a 440 Liquifire when I was a kid. I'm not sure exactly why they discontiued their snowmobile line, but I'd guess it had something to with competition or money. Maybe they just wanted to concentrate on tractors and farm equipment???

There's a couple of really great John Deere sled sites out there with good pics and info on them.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
89 Posts
I loved the John Deere's that we had growing up. Both the Cyclones and liquifires were pretty quick.

However, my uncle bought a Scorpion Whip of the same era that I got to drive a lot. That sled was much faster. I am guessing that was one of the quicker sleds made back then. Sounded cool too, kind of jet-like.

I can't wait to see the new Scorpions that are coming out again. Maybe we will see Johnny Poppers again if the industry keeps growing.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
well snowjimmy,

i hate to burst your bubble, but there are not going to be any new scorpion sleds. That company went under at the beginning of last season. I seen a few of the sleds for sale on ebay...but you wont be seeing them at any dealerships.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts