Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats goin on guys, in the past 2 week we have had daily accidents in Maine with almost 12 fatalities, and I dont know how many hurt.. Towns are starting to talk some tough laws, speed limits, tickets etc. Im curious as to what laws other states have.. Something has to give up here... I mean this is nuts.. What laws do you guys have? and I mean how are they enforced and such. I'm afraid to open the newspaper in the morning... Seems like everyday its about snowmobiles.

Ride safe guys I worry about you'all
Jenn

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Not to sound cold but I bet its youth or booze or both. We have a problem in our sport in Canada anyways where to many people feel snowmobiling is just away to get to the bars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know actually only a couple have been youth, none that ive heard of have been alcohol.. mostly speed and inexperience. And oddly most have been in their 20-30's

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yeah I think the twenty to thirty group is the largest in the sport. So probably thats why more from that group. Maybe they are not reporting achohol as a factor because that information is not available to the reporters. Speed defineatly contributes but usually the ones going extremely fast have some liquid courage in them.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hotrod,

FYI the last two deaths in Ontario were both men over 50.

With the new zero tolerance laws hopefully alcohol related crashes will become a thing of the past..

I like how youth is always to blame.. heh, that's exactly the sterotype that keeps my insurance rates so high..

Here in haliburton the cops frequent the Northwood (local bar) just waiting for snowmobilers to leave.. even one drink will cost you your license.. Anyone w/ half a brain should realize it's not worth it..

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
There have been 9 fatalities in Maine so far. Alcohol was a factor in two of them, excessive speed and plain old ignorance in the rest. People are just out-riding their abilities, and the environment they're riding in (ie. unfamiliarity of the trail or lake). I feel bad for the victims and their families, but there's just no dam need of it! It's giving us ALL a bad rep that the anti's will use against us.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
That is rediculus!! Glad I live in WI. I can see setting a limit but zero tolerance?? Don't get me wrong I don't go out and get hammered and drive my sled, but I do like to have a bloody mary with my burger or whatever.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
650 Indy Dont want to start a fight here but look at the statistics. Those guys are sleeping in the bed that thier age group and the ones before them made. People from all ages drink and drive.And sooner or later they crash. Anyway by youth I was talking the 20 to 30 group not the really young guys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey 650 Indy... you said that they would take your license away.. you have to be licensed to ride your sled, or your general license..

And I agree its not just the youth here.. its everyone

·
Registered
637 Posts
Heh,

all I'm saying is it's a sterotype like the whole "blonde girls are stupid" (just an example).. Just because I fall into an age category where people automatically assume I drive like a idiot.. I get penalized every month.. such is life..

But the fact is we all walk the same fine line.. These deaths can and will jepordize the furture of snowmobiling..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you have to take a safety course or anything before you can ride? Also someone just told me Maine was the only state that doesnt require helmets.. I wonder if this is accurate

·
Registered
637 Posts
9.1 no person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle along a highway unless,

(a) the person has attained the full age of sixteen years; and

(b) the person holds a driver's licence; or

(c) the person holds a motorized snow vehicle operator's licence; or

(d) the person is a resident of any other province, country or state and holds a licence issued by such province, country or state which authorizes the person to drive a motorized snow vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 9 (1).
No, you don't need a saftey course or anything if you have a valid drivers license..

You can view the entire Ontario Motorized Snow Vehicles Act. here..

http://192.75.156.68/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90m44_e.htm

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here in QC ,, they are pretty damn strict on snomobiling laws ,, they have cops on sleds with radar guns all over the place,, just waiting for people coming out of bars and/races.
Out here if you get caught speeding on the trails, they'll take points off your DRIVING liscence. so believe me ,, it's pretty much ZERO tolerance here,, and i'm like ACExlt ,, i definatly don't get drunk and hope onto my machine ,,, but i do go out once in a while and stop at a bar here or there and have a couple drinks ,,,,,
But stats mostly show that speed is what causes the accidents ,,just this past week-end , 2 guys in the trails hit face to face ,, totaling both machine ,, and both guys hit face to face craking BOTH helmets and killing them both. Slow down in the trails and that will SOLVE 90% of all accidents ,, cause if they are drunk,,they are speeding, that's usually a given

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Here in Ontario we need a least a snowmobile safty course, I am 15 so I am not suppoed to cross roads until 16, but that law is mostly only enforced if you are about 13 or younger, or driving stupid, which is good, and the speed limit is 50 km/h, but we usually go between 40 and 50 m/h depending on the conditions, with NO alcohol.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
where i load and unload from is at a bar right on the lakefront.Waverly Beach in Menasha wis. well i see tons of people go out for a ride, come back go drink, go back out and ride. surprisingly there were very few deaths last year and not near as many accidents as the year before. most of the accidents last year came from sturgeon holes on the lake not being marked like they are supposed to be.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
im not quite sure on the laws here in iowa,(dont keep upo on them) i know you have to take a saftey course as a youngen, but i know of no speed limits, and i think they treat a sled like a car, if your driving drunk, you pay the price. but cops waiting outside a bar is plain and simple ENTRAPPMENT, i dont go out and get all loaded and ride. sure i goto the bars, once in a great while it is by sled, but when i leave its straight home, (which is 2 blocks 1600ft.)but anyways, id have to say most accidents are prolly caused by liquor,or stupidity or both, in any case it is unfortunate for the the families involved as well as the rest of us, like mentioned before,insurance rates go up, laws change etc. it just hurts everyone.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by xltman
[br]....i dont go out and get all loaded and ride. sure i goto the bars, once in a great while it is by sled, but when i leave its straight home, (which is 2 blocks 1600ft.)but anyways.....
Maybe you should walk...lol...
Sorry, it was right there I could not resist the jab.

IMHO...I have had a few close calls with a tree or ditch or 2 in my years of riding, even with the old 1 lungers, so I can certainly see Johnny 900 or T-cat Tommy getting in over his head some day and wrap his muscle machine and himself around a tree.

I think that there are alot of inexperienced riders out there getting on their 7,8 & 900's and under-estimating there sheer speed they are going until that curve in the trail they have never been on, starts coming at them at 80 mph.

I think that people just need to ride with more care...and hey the booze sure isn't helping any, 0 tolearance is the only answer.
IMHO.

My motto is "Ride to ride again" :)
Take care.

PS: Talked to 1 former snowmobiler who packed in the sport when he hit 135 mph on the lake one day, and was looking for more, he said that's enough.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts