Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

my addiction to craigslist payed off again. found a 93 xcr 440 special for 250. messed up trailing arm but nothing i cant fix. has pro taper handle bars and hpg shocks. mileage i think is around 4500 which is a little high. but my plan is to maybe fix it and swap some parts out from that sled and put them in mine and sell it. what do you think it is worth? [confused2] kbb said 845 but did not offer the sp as a choice so i have no idea.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The mileage on that sled is not high at all. For $250 I'd pick it up. If you fix it and can't sell it you could always part it out and get more for it that way.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Dont go by kbb for pricing used snowmobiles, it is not accurate at all. if you were to sell it in the summer, $500 tops-- if it's in great condition (e.g. no tears in seat, no cracks in hood). If you waited till prime selling season you could get $750 at most. 4500 miles is about average for the year range. A misconception that people have is that just because you have really nice expensive bolt on parts on your sled, doesn't make it worth a whole lot more. even if it had stock shocks and stock handlebars it is still only worth $500/$750 in good condition, even though we all know pro taper is worth more than stock.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
its worth what someone will pay at a given time....That said, post pics and we could give you educated guess's

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hell if it runs and has good compression by all means cough up the 250! I've got a ton of old Wedge parts from deals like that, built 2 sleds from the ground up so far this year and planning the 3rd.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry i made a huge mistake in the mileage, it has 1110 miles on it and the odomoter worksand the seat has a little tear other than that a mint sled. so it has to be worth more than 750 dollars. the motor alone is worth what i pay for the whole sled

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
xcrtweaker123 said:
sorry i made a huge mistake in the mileage, it has 1110 miles on it and the odomoter worksand the seat has a little tear other than that a mint sled. so it has to be worth more than 750 dollars. the motor alone is worth what i pay for the whole sled
a 93 440 motor with 1100 miles is not worth $750. yeah it only has 1100 miles, but it is till a '93. and it is the regular indy 440 motor, not the 440 SP motor with the NiCaSil cylinders and red cylinder head. The most you will get for that motor (without pipe, carbs, or clutch) is $300- I'm talking from experience; all I do is part out sleds. I know what people are willing to pay for 1990-2000 Polaris parts.
If all the parts are good condition, part it out. the sum of all the parts are worth more than a complete sled.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it has a different head than my 93 xcr 440. it has totally different thread pattern and the coolant does not go straight through the middle like mine so it has to be different? it says xcr special onthe head also.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
oh yes, that is a 1994 XCR 440 SP motor- it has a silver cylinder head, NiCaSil cylinders (I think). ~$300-$350 motor. It is different than the 1994 XCR 440 and the 1993 XCR 440 motors, which are just an Indy 440 motor (same as an Indy 500 block but with a smaller bore).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so what exactly is the difference between that motor and my motor. does it have a shorter stroke or bigger bore? performance wise i just dont understand

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
xcrtweaker123 said:
so what exactly is the difference between that motor and my motor. does it have a shorter stroke or bigger bore? performance wise i just dont understand

That sled would sell for a MAX of around $700 around here... low hp engine though it is a reliable power plant, has almost nothing for suspension, and the fact that its 17 years old really kills the value.

I couldnt even sell a 98 xc 700 this winter for $1000 [xx(]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts