Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first year in the sport! Got hooked last year when my buddy took me out for a ride! Anyways I'm looking to buy a better sled in the next few years and I really like Artic Cats, but everyone I have talked to has a hatred for them where I live. I ask why and all I get is opinions, like they handle crappy, replacement parts are way to much,ect. Not one person I talk to owns one or has anything good to say about them. I just want a "quality" build sled and am looking for answers to why everyone thinks they are the General Motors of snowmobiling. Does anyone have any facts?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Well I've got a 90 Prowler 440 with 2300 mile's, that's never failed to get Me back where I started. (Well now I have to amend that statement, as I blew something in My chain case today. Apparently those Ice Chisel's hook up better than those 17 yr old gear's and chain were willing to handle. I still love the old girl, and will have her fixed by this weekend.)
[attachment=57434]

And an 87 ElTigre with 4500 miles, that start's on second pull cold every time, and first pull every time warm.
[attachment=57436]

I'm very happy with both sled's.
And as far as part's go, Go to a Polaris or Yamaha or Ski Doo Dealer, and honestly tell Me they're price's are any better.[;)]
Dealer's charge as much as they can get away with, that's why I buy most of My part's on E-Bay or the Snowmobile Forum's and from My local salvage guy.
Rick

B.T.W. to those people who rag on something they have'nt even got, tell them Opinion's are like A***ole's, Everybody's got one![:0]

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I find all brands have great sleds and duds. The sled you will be happy with depends more on you, what you want it to do and your budget. If you're not mechanicaly inclined a newer 4 stroke might be the answer for you. They should go a long time before requiring rebuilding. If you are mechanicaly inclined and like more power a 2 stroke may be for you, but they need more maintenance. If you buy anything 99 or older make sure you can upgrade the suspension because it will be a terrible ride and will slow you down.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
General Motors of snowmobiling??? ,they best look at the others as well ,all have duds ,all have great ones

·
Registered
282 Posts
You are always going to find good and bad in all,i own a 04 600 polaris and a 04 900cat,each 1 has a purpose and i love them both,but if i had to upgrade to a new machine i really dont know what i would buy because there isnt much in cats or polaris line up that i like

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
there are pro's and cons to everything.never owned a cat before.but i am thinking of possibly getting one next year

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got 2 Cats. The ZR has been great since purchase, but it gets terrible mileage. Just ordered a speedo adapter, first part in 2 years to be replaced. The EXT runs great, put 32 miles on it today. In the last 5 years I've had to do some clutch work, a CDI box, Carbides, and a track, and plugs occasionally. Parts wear out.

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
Originally posted by thundercat
[br]If you buy anything 99 or older make sure you can upgrade the suspension because it will be a terrible ride and will slow you down.
That's not true. When it comes to Cat, anything '96 or older will have a slightly more 'inferior' suspension. In '97 they implemented the ETT suspension which was a HUGE improvement from the past.

As far as quality, I own a Cat and love it. All brands have jems and lemons...pros and cons. IMHO, as long as you go with a Cat '98 or newer you shouldn't have too many problems. I don't know how big of a gearhead you are, but if you just want to ride with no worries, I'd suggest going with the a EFI model. Easy starting and no worries of jetting for temp/elevation changes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
honestly, its not what they say its what you feel comfortable with.....parts for any new sled from any company are expensive, so no matter what you choose, just don't break it..lol i have a 2006 m7 and i love it......and i have riden them all...but don't let your friends pick what sled you buy...take each and everyone on a test drive and then go from there...

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
People are intimdated by arctic cat.[:)]

·
Registered
396 Posts
if someone has a bad experience with a particular sled then they might write off that manufacturer.
I don't have a Cat because i have not found one that fits me. if i did i would buy one. if you like the way it feels then buy Cat.
i have both a polaris and now a ski-doo. when i want to go out and play and rip around the skidoo is what i ride while if i just want to cruise along or more minimal snow cover then i ride the polaris. each has its own purpose.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Originally posted by Quinlan
[br]
[br]If you buy anything 99 or older make sure you can upgrade the suspension because it will be a terrible ride and will slow you down.
That's not true. When it comes to Cat, anything '96 or older will have a slightly more 'inferior' suspension. In '97 they implemented the ETT suspension which was a HUGE improvement from the past.
I respectfully disaggree with these obsevations. I just used 99 as a ballpark year but true ett tsl skids weren't on all cat models till 99 although they were on some like the 98 T-cat. The early ett's without the tsl were'nt that great a ride.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I'm not a Cat guy, but there isn't really anything major through out every Cat just some of them collected bad raps. They tend to be thirstier than most other sleds in the same class.

Careful about the General Motors crack.[}:)][:p]

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
Originally posted by sixhundredcc
[br]bad rep, bad engines,very fast until they blow up

get a ski-doo or polaris[:p][:)]

cats arent bad tho also
Surprised you're saying that, considering you were the one upset about blowing up your REV and all...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Do your own research on sleds and buy one that fits your style. Going through some threads on this site should also get you some facts on different sleds.

Or, buy an f7 and leave them in the dust. If that's not big enough get yourself a tcat.

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
[br]
Originally posted by Quinlan
[br]
I respectfully disaggree with these obsevations. I just used 99 as a ballpark year but true ett tsl skids weren't on all cat models till 99 although they were on some like the 98 T-cat. The early ett's without the tsl were'nt that great a ride.
I believe they were more standard in '98. They started out with a select few in '97...I believe the ZRT had it, along with the SnoPro (or what there was of one), and maybe some others. I believe in '98 the ZR, ZL, ZRT, TCat had the ETT, so that leads me to believe they were more standard that year. Yes, the newer suspension setups are better, but the '98+ ETT were quite satisfactory, especially compared to other manufacturers of those years.

We could probably argue about this all night long. You seem to respect my conclusion, and I very well accept yours. We can leave it at that...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2003 F7 it is a nice quick sled! Haven't had any serious problems with her (knock on wood). All sleds have there snags, si your research and find out what suits your taste. [B)] Don't compare Cat to a GM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been a cat man all my life and we have had 4 different ZRs 2 Different EXTs 2 different Thundercats a ZRT 600 and a wildcat 700. Only one of them did not impress me and that was the wildcat 700. In my mind arctic cat was not in the ball game real well with their old 700s but now the F7s are great. All the others ran hard and fast for their ccs. But i also do not hold a grudge against the other manuafactures. I believe they are all good ones or they wouldnt be making them. I guess the way i look at it is is that you drive what you like its just like trucks and semis and everything else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree with sledme2, you need to decide for yourself. Don't let someone else decide for you. Ride as many different sleds as you can before you buy one because they all ride different. Like some of the others have stated every manufacturer has it's good ones and bad ones.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts