Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont see spending money for chaincase oil when we got 5 barrels of different oil sitting around, what is special about if anything and what could we use in replacement, we got barrels of 15w-40, hydraulic oil, straight 80 gear case oil, and auto trans fluid, i heard one you could use that that??? idk

any of these work or should we just keep using chaincase oil

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
you can use atf. I know a few guys that do. I pefer to use oem chaincase oil. It doesn't cost that much and I havn't had any chain issues.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Me personally, I use oem chaincase oil. The reason some of the others are bad is because when you are running at high rpm's they can expand (foam up) and damage things in your chaincase or the chaincase itself.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i have used amsoil motor oil before but i go with amsoil chaincase oil or klotz chain case oil like the guys above me reason being made for it so i know it will stand the heat like it should have it wont be thick or not thick enough its whats suppose to be in it

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have used a 50/50 mix of ATF and 80/90 gear oil. My cat dealer actually recommended it back in the day. That is what he used in snocross so i figured if its good enough for that it was good enough for the every day rider

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
john deere hygard works well as well as atf.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
ATF is great for your chaincase, front wheel drive GM transmissions actually use a chain and gear setup very similar to what we have in our sleds. If it can hold up in a car, there is no reason it wouldn't work just fine in our sleds.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Atf it is. I have used it for years with zero chaincase failures. It don't turn to peanut butter when its below 0 deg.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The only thing about the ATF, is that it will eventually run off the surfaces and leave them unprotected.

In the winter that's no biggie, but if it sits over the summer without running, you may see some spotting.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
The only thing about the ATF, is that it will eventually run off the surfaces and leave them unprotected.

In the winter that's no biggie, but if it sits over the summer without running, you may see some spotting.
I'll agree to disagree on this one. ATF has tons of rust inhibitors in it and does not run off as you might expect. If it was the case, many automatic transmissions would fail, especially those in our "summer cars" which get parked for 3-6 months out of the year. Rust in an auto trans is a failure waiting to happen.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I run atf and never have had any problems, and my camaro sits all winter without running and the same atf is in there and the tranny works just fine after sitting all winter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i ran some 75-90 gear oil once. it worked good, but i changed it cause it got too thick when it was cold. I have Polaris chaincase oil in now, but ATF sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Another vote for ATF.. never had any problems and it works great in below zero temps.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
There is a reason why the manufacturers print owners manuals...And in those manuals they recommend specific lubricants for a reason. For the cost of a bottle of chain oil is it really worth rolling the dice? I wouldn't listen to half the self taught lubricant experts on this site, it'll just cost you money in the long run.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
CanadianXCR said:
There is a reason why the manufacturers print owners manuals...And in those manuals they recommend specific lubricants for a reason. For the cost of a bottle of chain oil is it really worth rolling the dice? I wouldn't listen to half the self taught lubricant experts on this site, it'll just cost you money in the long run.
Well, thats true to a point. Polaris recommends only Polaris brand lubricants, Cat recommends only Cat brand lubricants, Ford recommends only Motorcraft lubricants and parts. All the manufacturers are the same in that respect, they recommend their own products for obvious reasons. Dosnt mean other stuff wont work as well of better. I see what youre saying about taking peoples opinions with a grain of salt, but if a dozen people recommend ATF (myslef included) then there must be something to it. Same type of silent chain has been used in transfer cases for decades and all are lubed with atf.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
CanadianXCR said:
Yeah to tell you to buy their product to make another buck off you. There is many other choices out there. I've used ATF for years without any problems. It's not rolling the dice. What's in an auto tranny? Gears and chains. What's in a chaincase? Gears and chains. If it's good enough to protect a $30k+ car, it'll work for our $8k sleds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I run ATF in all my sleds. Last count there were 12 of them. Stuff works fine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts