Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Whats the best way of taking studs out?

7K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  robosnow 
#1 ·
Grille Bumper Auto part Technology Metal

Vehicle Car Building

What's the best way of removing studs?

I want to take all the side studs out and might take all out depends how easy it is to take them out.

See less See more
#6 ·
snowmobileguy said:

Vehicle Car Building

I want to take all the side studs out and might take all out depends how easy it is to take them out.
Those studs are T-nut style,they are not push throughs,the stud threads into the T-nut on the inside of the track, they will come out easy, a air ratchet would be the fastest way but if you don't have one just get to spinning a hand ratchet, I just installed 96 of those in a Indy Sport last week, took me about 2 hours to put them in by hand, and that was having to push the T-nuts in from the inside of the track, if you end up running into some that give you problems or strip out then a small cutoff disc chucked up in a good 3/8 drill will zip them off pretty quick,if you need to know anything else about them let me know and I'll be glad to help.

#7 ·
Yours look straight and easy to get out. I had a Rev that had 1.75" bent and stripped studs that there was no way the nuts were coming off. I used a plasma cutter and cut them all off,plasma does not get very hot so no damage was done to the track.

#9 ·
98700xc said:
snowmobileguy said:

Those studs are T-nut style,they are not push throughs,the stud threads into the T-nut on the inside of the track, they will come out easy, a air ratchet would be the fastest way but if you don't have one just get to spinning a hand ratchet, I just installed 96 of those in a Indy Sport last week, took me about 2 hours to put them in by hand, and that was having to push the T-nuts in from the inside of the track, [highlight=green]if you end up running into some that give you problems or strip out then a small cutoff disc [/highlight=green]chucked up in a good 3/8 drill will zip them off pretty quick,if you need to know anything else about them let me know and I'll be glad to help.
I had to use the disc grinder on a good portion of the studs I removed from my last track- the studs were very rusty so the allen wrench on the inside of the track stripped the T-nut. Disc grinder works very well, but be careful of where the sparks are flying or you'll melt the track a little (speaking from experience).

However, those studs look pretty damn clean, so I don't think they will give you much trouble.

#13 ·
snowmobileguy said:

Vehicle Car Building

It's a pain - took me about 3 days switching out studs (about 130 of them) because the first owner put studs that were too long in it and also the points were dull. I had a b*tch of a time getting about 3 of them out, the allen wrench wouldn't hold - had to hack saw it off when I couldn't get on it with bold cutters. Wouldn't want to do that again anytime soon.

I'd just take the outside ones out if I were you and leave the rest in. It's easier to mat your trailer if that's the reason you don't want 'em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.