Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was following the thread below and it got me to thinking about a ride we took a few years back.

The tempature was -60F with windchill, -12F without. Machines ran fine, but damn was it cold. At one stop I took my glove off and reached into my jacket to grab a soda, by the time I had the soda out (matter of seconds) my fingers were too numb to crack it.

-60F is my best (and I probably wouldn't do it again [:eek:)] )

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I don't count wind chill, -36 C, that was before the heated visor,
and that sucked.

Saw a show extreme cold, this guy threw a cup of hot coffee in the air and it turned to ice crystals before it hit the ground.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Not sure why ne1 would count wind chill when on a sled.
I am sure that at -30C and 60 mph that would be in the -90C neighbourhood.

·
Registered
105 Posts
-50f, without windchill. That was a little chilly. Also, i made a fifty mile trip in -30f weather with a dinky little cobra mxz windshield. Burr. had to hop in a tub after that one.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
ive rode when its been around -20 F w/o windchill....sled ran fine too...

·
Registered
268 Posts
today it was -32c with the windchill it was -40c was nto fun waiting for the bus in a uniform and some moron at school thought it would be funny to pull the fire alarm that was the worst thing ever standing out side for 15 mins wiht no jacket... not so good times not so good times....
but abotu temp i sled in yesterday i went in -28 not fun got frost bite on my nose just to add to my list of not so good times sled ran like a rocket tho that was a good time.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
-20 F. temp while riding my Honda Big Red 3-wheeler! Quite a few years ago, we got a real good blizzard and school was closed for a couple days. So i decided to call up my neighbor to go play around in the snow with my 3-wheeler....while the blizzard was still hitting us. I was only about age 12 at the time, but the cold didn't effect me back then, i just wanted to have fun. (at the time I didn't have a snowmobile yet) It was pretty silly, i got stuck every 20 feet i drove, and the visibility was pretty much zero, and the winds blew VERY hard. Now that i think about it, i was pretty stupid to do such a thing, but i guess i learned not to mess with Old Man Winter.

Right now, my thermometer says -12 F, but there's no way i'm going snowmobiling in these temps, it's just not fun.

·
Registered
864 Posts
-43 below... brr.. 2 hour trip home at night. Buddies skidoo fuel pump kept freezing. Two guys got frost bte that night on thier necks.
Been a cool one so far this year.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The coldest I have ever snowmobiled in is
-36 degrees F. When we got back we went into the outdoor hottub. Riley

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Coldest was -30 F without the wind. Then add the wind from riding at between 30 and 60 mph and you're talkin' scary cold! We were riding back from Madawaska (northern part of Maine) to our hotel in Caribou. We would have to stop every once in a while to do some jumping jacks to keep the blood flowing. It was so cold you could actually feel yourself getting groggy. We'd also have to stop and put our hands under the exhaust pipe to gets some warmth. Handle bar heaters were doing nothing!

Never again.

·
Registered
699 Posts
under zero degrees my mom doesnt let me go ridin but its for the best i guess so ive road in like 0 degrees farinheit before yah im real hard core

·
Registered
312 Posts
it's been in the mid -30's for the past 2 weeks here in the mornings and evenings ,, so i'v basicly had no choice but to rid in this weather ,, but man does the machine EVER LOVE it ,, wow , seems like i'm runing nitro in there or 110 octane , heheh

·
Registered
699 Posts
if its runnin really good at a lower temp then u have your carbs adjusted for the lower temp if it doesnt run the same in a little warmer condition u might have to re jet your carbs plus it wouldnt matter if u are running 110 octane it wouldnt make it run any better the higher octane is for the higher compression so if u dont have your engine set up for high compression the higher octane wont do u any good

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Exciter man,
While you are correct on the fuel, and carbs When the air is cold the reason you get better performance is that as you correctly stated you need to jet for that tempurature (Bigger jets) that is because you have a more dense air charge to mix with the additional fuel (really does make more power) You can still jet for the crisp throttle response at warmer temps but you can't burn as much air fuel mixture.

·
Registered
312 Posts
my point exactly ,, thanks 2000tcmc,, that's what i ment to say ,, air is more dense , giving it the more power feeling ,
My machine runs great a low temperature ,, but seems to have Lots more torque when it's say below -20 to -30

·
Registered
699 Posts
sure u meant to say that whatever i am not goin to start anything lets just get back to the subject the coldest u ever rode in mine has been 0

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
-20F is about the coldest iv ever riden in

1 - 20 of 28 Posts