Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 ZR 440 that the hoods green and the seats green. But my buddy is looking at a 1997 ZR 440 but his hood is black and his seats black. Can someone can clear this up for me?

·
Registered
784 Posts
It is probably a zl 440 they have but with the graphics taken off. Those are fast, but are the trail version of those sleds so they = around 30 less horsepwoer and no racing shocks.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
The only difference between the ZR, and the ZL is the suspension.
The motors are identical with possible difference's in the clutch springing, the ZL would be clutched a little softer than the ZR.
The ZL suspension is set up for a more cushy Trail ride, the ZR suspension is set up for more hardcore sport riding.
H.P. rating's will be identical between the ZR, and the ZL, as both use the same liquid cooled motor's.
The Z model uses the fan motor, in which case Yes you will be down about 30 h.p. from the two liquid cooled sled's.

The green ZR was probably a Snow Check model (only available if you pre ordered it that year.)
The black one is probably the production model for that year, the color should be the only difference between them.

Rick

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Between 93(first year of Z chassis)-96 the ZR's were black. My 95 ZR 580 was black. In 97(first year of ZL), the ZR was green and the ZL was black. I believe it wasn't until the ZR3 chassis that both ZR and ZL were available in black or green.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
1997 was also the first year for batteryless EFI and the ETT (Extra Travel Tunnel), which made the sled sit higher than previous years in stock form...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Look at this. http://www.hallsofmedford.com/snowmobile/new/zl500440/ Even though its a 99 arctic cat used the same engines in them from 1991 (Or when ever they started making that 440) to 2000(They are the prowler engines). If you ever look at one under the hood you will noticed that the pipe is different to. also the 97 ZRs had reeds and the ZLs didn't. Yes kingofkings you are right. I totally forgot about those ZRs the pre 97s that's the one your friend was looking at probably.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ohh alright thanks for the help i understand it now. But the guy i bought it from decided to build his own pipe. Its a straight pipe dose that have any back pressure? And this that the reason for it to be spraying out carbon? Like i start it up and let it warm up then rev it a little then black stuff comes out and leaves a stain on the cement.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Ditch the pipe, probably garbage and you'll just cut that sleds life shorter running it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Post a pic of the pipe if you can.

1,792 Posts
skidoo600racer said:
It is probably a zl 440 they have but with the graphics taken off. Those are fast, but are the trail version of those sleds so they = around 30 less horsepwoer and no racing shocks.
You might be thinking the Z440, which had 50 hp, vs. the ZR440 which had 90.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
skidoo600racer said:
Look at this. http://www.hallsofmedford.com/snowmobile/new/zl500440/ Even though its a 99 arctic cat used the same engines in them from 1991 (Or when ever they started making that 440) to 2000(They are the prowler engines). If you ever look at one under the hood you will noticed that the pipe is different to. also the 97 ZRs had reeds and the ZLs didn't. Yes kingofkings you are right. I totally forgot about those ZRs the pre 97s that's the one your friend was looking at probably.
They did add reeds to theZL in 98 for sure, had a 97 ZL 440(I don't think she had reeds) but my 98 ZL 500does.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
The zr440 race sleds had power valves. That is the major difference. No power valves = weak 440.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts