Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody tell me the difference between Race Xtra10 and the standard Xtra10, rear skids. Besides the shocks is there a differences?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I went out to the garage and started measuring and found a couple differences so far besides the shocks. 1st the springs are completely different, regular Xtra10 uses round steel and Race uses square like an EDGE skid. Also the regular has a bend in the spring on the straight part where it comes down to rest on the lower plastic block, and Race just goes straight down. 2nd The upper wheels that go up in the tunnel are a lot closer together on the Race, again the same as on an EDGE skid (same distance as an EDGE), where on the regular they are over an inch further apart. Does anybody else know of anymore differences?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
There are also some extra holes in the rails for scissor adjustments I believe, both mine and my wifes sleds have the race suspension, they are both 99XCs, mine a 700, hers a 600.
200912318628201_17500.jpg

200912202550826_17500.jpg
Look at these two pics, you will see the 3 different holes at the bottom of the rails to move the bottom of the scissor forward or backward.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All of my Xtra10s have the three holes in the back for the rear arm. I like your Tracks USA extensions I have the same ones just on a EDGE skid. Why did you put the Cat wheels in the back? Bigger Diameter?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I was under the understanding that the race was the only one to have the three holes, my other xtra 10 I had didn't have them, and the Race is just the suspension, has nothing to do with the motor, its an xtra 10 race suspension. And the cat wheels was a big wheel type kit, it had an offset axle and used the cat wheels for a larger diameter wheel.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
dtmmil said:
I was under the understanding that the race was the only one to have the three holes, my other xtra 10 I had didn't have them
I'm gonna side with you on this one. There are currently 4 xtra-10 regulars under the deck, one regular on my brother's '98 indy 500, and an xtra-10 race on my '99 xc. The only one of these 6 skids that has the three holes for the rear scissor arm is my sled.
The Race skid was also the first to use the swirl pattern bogie wheels. ('99 indy 500 with regular x-10 still used the old bogie design

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dtmmil said:
I was under the understanding that the race was the only one to have the three holes, my other xtra 10 I had didn't have them, and the Race is just the suspension, has nothing to do with the motor, its an xtra 10 race suspension. And the cat wheels was a big wheel type kit, it had an offset axle and used the cat wheels for a larger diameter wheel.

I'm gonna side with you on this one. There are currently 4 xtra-10 regulars under the deck, one regular on my brother's '98 indy 500, and an xtra-10 race on my '99 xc. The only one of these 6 skids that has the three holes for the rear scissor arm is my sled.
The Race skid was also the first to use the swirl pattern bogie wheels. ('99 indy 500 with regular x-10 still used the old bogie design
[/quote]

I was wrong and you guys are correct. One of the three skids I have doesn't have the three holes. One of them with the holes I'm guessing is a monster, it has three holes but has the old style wheels and cheap shocks and the wheels that go up in the tunnel are far apart. I'm guessing on the monster somebody replaced the rails on a standard Xtra10 with Race Xtra10 rails.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I got a question for you guys: What would moving the rear scissor arm to a different hole accomplish? It must affect something, I wonder what it is. It comes stock in the middle hole so clearly it's in a neutral position. I might have to play with changing holes this winter

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've researched it before and found out its a like a Arctic Cat, one way makes it softer and the other way makes it stiffer.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I believe its for more or less weight transfer for drag racing. I moved mine once and it lowered the rear of my sled.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It definitely changes the height in the back, but it also really changes the spring pressure from quite soft to much stiffer. There was a whole thread about this on HCS inside the Arctic Cat forum. On Arctic Cats they have like 5 or 6 holes instead of three. Also Arctic Cat uses a cross shaft for the front coupler block, where Polaris uses the same blocks in the front and back. So when I've moved it on those sleds I moved the cross shaft along with it, either forward or back. I don't use the rear coupler blocks, I ride the suspensions uncoupled except for when I ride M10.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Okay thanks guys, I found some articles on it on arcticchat, never knew Cat had the same system

1 - 14 of 14 Posts