Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just had my suspension rebuilt out of my skid and now im have assembled the skid but need to put it back in the sled, what is the easiest way to do this?? any help is surely appreciated, we have snow now and i really want to get this thing going. thanks, oh by the way its a 1997 Ultra SPX in case you needed to know what kind of suspension

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well I'm going to be putting my Extra 10 back together this weekend. I'll take some pics to sort of break the process down for ya if ya want. It will be in my "rebuild of a '96 Ultra" post. If you can't wait, you pretty much put it together and stick it in the track. Then lift it into the tunnel and tighten up the track. The track tension is key, make sure the rear wheels are back so it goes in easy. I like to lift the rear end up just enough to slide the skid in and out. I believe your sled has the Extra 12, and I have not done one of those so I do not know about any little quirks of it. Hope this helps you out a little. It's pretty cut and dry, it goes in the way it came out. If you need more clarification, let me know.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the xtra 10 and the only problem i am having is not getting the skid to go back far enough to line the holes up, maybe i need another guy

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yea another guy always helps, suspensions can be a pain in the ass. Like I said, I'm putting mine back in this weekend so I will pay attention to this. I will let you know how I do it ASAP.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yea I remember doing that when I took it out, then you can just push them back up in when you're done. I was going to mention that but I couldn't remember for sure, and didn't want to give bad advice lol.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Using a tie down to compress the skid helps line up the bolt holes withought having to remove the torsion springs.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Unhook torsion springs and stick a car jack underneath track to help slowly rise it up. Takes a little coaxing but itll line up.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Throw it on its side, pull the track out so its almost at a T with the sled, slide the suspension in, putting the front up between the drive wheels, slip the track over the rear wheels, and then pull the susp. back.

Line up front holes with front shaft, get bolts started, and then do the same for the rear, get them both started if not tightened, and then flip the sled back over. with two people this takes about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
What I always find easy is to have another hand or two. Then, I lift the rear of the sled up with an engine hoist, and put the front bolts in first. Then, I let the torsion springs dangle and then its pretty easy to compress and line up the holes for the rear. Bolt it in, put the springs back in place, tighten/align the track, and off you go.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Laying it on its side is definitely the easiest way. That way, you don't have to fight gravity, and you can put the skid into the track and then put the track and skid into the tunnel in two separate motions. With the rear end jacked up but still upright, you need to do both of those at the same time and you still have to fight the track lugs. Just make sure you shut off the fuel to the carbs when doing it and make sure there is oil left in the oil tank. Even then, I usually bleed the oil system after I am done just in case air got in the line. I figure the time spent doing that is a lot cheaper than buying a new motor.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Originally posted by MonsterJay
[br]Unhook torsion springs and stick a car jack underneath track to help slowly rise it up. Takes a little coaxing but itll line up.
Bingo!! this will work for you

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I'm in with chadd and mdmaniac on this one, I have also found that laying the sled on its side is the easiest way to put the skid in if working on your own, for me its less than a 15 minute job now.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm with Blackcat on this one. With the sled on it's side measure the distance between the front and rear mounting holes in the tunnel. Then, use a ratchet strap to compress the suspension in the skid until the front and rear mounting shafts are the same distance apart as the measurement you made for the holes in the tunnel. Then when you install the skid the holes line up perfectly. I've never had to monkey around trying to line the holes up doing it this way.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i greatly appreciate all the words of wisdom from everybody, it is a pain in the arse but i am learning as i go about sleds, last year it was a driveshaft bearing, now this, i really do appreciate everything from everyone, thank you

·
Registered
251 Posts
Originally posted by scaryfast
[br]well i greatly appreciate all the words of wisdom from everybody, it is a pain in the arse but i am learning as i go about sleds, last year it was a driveshaft bearing, now this, i really do appreciate everything from everyone, thank you
Thank you for the "thank you." It is nice when someone appreciates it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts