Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been into the Polaris 600 triples for a few years now and I've had nothing but bearing/crankshaft failure and problems. I'm hoping you guys can through some advice and ideas my way to help avoid these costly fixes..Whats the best fix to extend the life of the bearings?

My wifes sled which has a 95' xcr 600 engine started making some noises lately. So after tearing it down I am faced with PTO bearing failure once again. The crank needs to be split and this is very costly. Other than selling the triples and going with a twin engine, or another brand of sled. Whats some good ideas or advice to avoid this? My wifes sled motor is all stock and has NO pipes, heads or any power adders.

I've also heard rumors that the 600's were never made to hold up to any extra HP or bolt-ons. The cranks were designed for the 80hp range and the bearing weren't made for all that extra rpm bolt-ons will add. Is it for the best to leave them all stock?
"Rumor or not, I don't know?"


But I guess I just proved that leaving the engine all stock doesn't matter. The bearings still piled up.

Is it brand of oil? Fuel? Help???????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
I believe the older 600 XLT motors didnt have the PTO side oil lubrication and they implemented this in the 1997 or 1998 motors?
Someone will have to confirm this though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the older 600 XLT motors didnt have the PTO side oil lubrication and they implemented this in the 1997 or 1998 motors?
Someone will have to confirm this though.
You are right. Both my sleds are the early 600's and don't have the separate oiler..

But there should be a better solution then rebuilding the crank every third ride![V]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
I think alot of people buy the newer xlt oil pumps with the 4th oil line coming off of it and tap it into the pto bearing side. Basically the same thing as newer XLT engines. Basically to fix it you need to run a oil line to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,400 Posts
Also pre 97' motors had a smaller PTO oiling hole, so you can drill it out and get more oil flow through there. Many will say it's a casting flaw, but I'm pretty convinced that Polaris designed the cases like that. Use a synthetic oil, this will help the bearings longevity. Also the size of the bearing compared to other Polaris triples is staggering. The XLT/XCR didn't have a double row bearing until the Triumph motors.

[galleryattach=5790]

So are bolt on parts out of the question, no, many XLT's run great and for long periods with the mods, but will the mods reduce engine life, probably. I would stick with what you know. You know your XLT/XCR's have had significant bearing issues, that would be good enough for me to say farewell.

Fuel I believe should be 89 Octane. Oil, Polaris non-ves should be good for your sleds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
And no towing! That sure kills them bearings, XLT's are not strong in that department.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts
SLP's toughboy bearing kit fixes this problem. there is a known problem here after you fix the problem, there is no reason why you can't add bolt on mods, and be reliable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,519 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]Also pre 97' motors had a smaller PTO oiling hole, so you can drill it out and get more oil flow through there. Many will say it's a casting flaw, but I'm pretty convinced that Polaris designed the cases like that. Use a synthetic oil, this will help the bearings longevity. Also the size of the bearing compared to other Polaris triples is staggering. The XLT/XCR didn't have a double row bearing until the Triumph motors.

[galleryattach=5790]

So are bolt on parts out of the question, no, many XLT's run great and for long periods with the mods, but will the mods reduce engine life, probably. I would stick with what you know. You know your XLT/XCR's have had significant bearing issues, that would be good enough for me to say farewell.

Fuel I believe should be 89 Octane. Oil, Polaris non-vew should be good for your sleds.
Nice post! Thats what I like to see [:D][:D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,686 Posts
bigbadjim,

How do I properly fix a XLT crank?


As with any 2 stroke crank, high quality bearings and proper assembly are critical to long crank life. Taking the cheap route is not a good idea when repairing a crank and it is well worth the money to have a reputable machinist repair the crank for you or simply buy a new one if you can.

Once you have a good crank to put back in, make sure the cases are good and cleaned. Debur any damage inside the cases, make sure the mating surfaces are flat and clean, and use Loctite® 515/518 to seal the halves back together. Most importantly drill out the PTO oiling hole and slightly chamfer the edges to allow more oil down to the PTO bearing. It is quite obvious that the oiling hole is restricted from the factory casting process and this is usually the main factor in bearing failure. You may want to slightly increase the oil pump setting as well and make sure to run a high quality oil like Injex®. Follow the Polaris shop manual for proper torque specs and take your time. When properly done, your newly refurbed lower end should last a long time with 7 or 8 thousand miles being well within reason.

Another option is to have the crank and cases updated to the –04 spec. Pete Nydahl [262-857-7078] not only does an excellent job of refurbing XLT cranks he also offers a case mod which allows you to use the double row PTO bearing and external oiler as well. This would be a very good and cost effective modification for those that run their sleds in extreme situations or do a lot of drag racing.



Taken from this web page:

http://www.geocities.com/schmidt92/polaris_faq.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
Originally posted by bigbadjim
[br]I've been into the Polaris 600 triples for a few years now and I've had nothing but bearing/crankshaft failure and problems. I'm hoping you guys can through some advice and ideas my way to help avoid these costly fixes..Whats the best fix to extend the life of the bearings?

My wifes sled which has a 95' xcr 600 engine started making some noises lately. So after tearing it down I am faced with PTO bearing failure once again. The crank needs to be split and this is very costly. Other than selling the triples and going with a twin engine, or another brand of sled. Whats some good ideas or advice to avoid this? My wifes sled motor is all stock and has NO pipes, heads or any power adders.

I've also heard rumors that the 600's were never made to hold up to any extra HP or bolt-ons. The cranks were designed for the 80hp range and the bearing weren't made for all that extra rpm bolt-ons will add. Is it for the best to leave them all stock?
"Rumor or not, I don't know?"


But I guess I just proved that leaving the engine all stock doesn't matter. The bearings still piled up.

Is it brand of oil? Fuel? Help???????
how do you store them in the summer because if you do not fog the **** out of the triples they rust the bearings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how do you store them in the summer because if you do not fog the **** out of the triples they rust the bearings.
I've been fogging all my engines over the summer.

My 95'xlt has had the case oil hole drilled larger.

I've been using torco oil from Agri-sport here in Regina for my 600's. Maybe that oil is crap! I've been using polaris synthetic gold in my new 900. Expensive oil but maybe its worth it? Maybe I should try some kind of Polaris synthetic in my 600's.

it is well worth the money to have a reputable machinist repair the crank for you or simply buy a new one if you can.
Its pretty hard to even find a Shop to fix sled cranks in Saskatchewan. I have both my cranks getting fixed at Precise Engine in Saskatoon right now. Its the only place that
I could find around here that would even touch a sled crank!


???????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe its time to drill and tap in a PTO oiler on both these 600's. So what late 90's sled had the 4 line oil pump? And which pump will work on my 600's ???????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
814 Posts
The update with the 4th oil line on the XLT motor came on later production 97 XLT and XC 600's. My guess is you would need to find an oil pump from one of these or later model XLT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
that torco stuff i find does not work good on any motor that has high rpms like an xlt it may work beter in boats and stuff.try shell synthetic it works good and half the price of polaris ves 2.there used to be a place north of saskatoon called green entrprises they fix all kinds of cranks also harley davidson in yorkton fixes cranks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Originally posted by bigbadjim
Its pretty hard to even find a Shop to fix sled cranks in Saskatchewan. I have both my cranks getting fixed at Precise Engine in Saskatoon right now. Its the only place that
I could find around here that would even touch a sled crank!


???????????
Precise??? (cringe,cringe)[V]. That's too bad. As far as I know R&L motorsports Is the only place to go for sled work.
My 96 went down at 6200 miles. This is about where everyone said it would go. So when it first made any kind of noise, I shut her down. Pulled the crank, and sure enuf, the metal cage just started to touch and turn blue. The crank guy was amazed as most people just shrug their shoulders and kep running them till the engine is good and smashed. And then wonder why they need a whole new engine?
But mine is good again with the new bearing and opened up oil holes, I massaged the oil gathering area to drain in there properly, and I don't plan on seeing inside again till at least 12000 mi. I currently have 8+.
Like Bisshy said too, I've talked to the guy in yorkton and he'll do exchanges on complete fresh motors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Precise??? (cringe,cringe)[V]. That's too bad. As far as I know R&L motorsports Is the only place to go for sled work.
Does Precise have a bad reputation or something?

that torco stuff i find does not work good on any motor that has high rpms like an xlt it may work better in boats and stuff.try shell synthetic it works good and half the price of polaris ves
Maybe the oil is my problem?[V]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,686 Posts
As far as the crank work, ship it out to someone reputable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Crank for my 96 XLT Special, is currently at R & L motorcycles in Saskatoon, there also drilling out PTO oil journal, I am going to start using amsoil interceptor oil. Primary & secondary clutches going to polaris for rebuilding & balancing , going back to stock springs & weights. Trying to rule out any causes of premature failure as PTO bearing only lasted 250 miles since last being replaced.

Too: XLT 600,
when you say (massasged oil gathering area to drain properly) did you dremel it larger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
When you get the primary balanced, guess what, it goes over to R&L!! They do virtually all the work for the shops in Stoon.
As far as massaging, I just blended with a dremel all the casting flash and hard corners to help the oil drain down into that hole.

I've done some serious research on oils and have come to the conclusion that as long as its quality oil---it makes no difference.
I've also read that you can mix them, the congealing is a wives tale, or it happened in the old days with crappy oil.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top