Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to sell my sled, And the fact that I fully rebuilt the motor @ 7400 miles seems to make people not even go near the sled? It was done by a licensed mechanic who works in a Dealership!(my dad). Do people think once a motor is rebuilt its automatically crap? As I'd rather a motor with a full rebuild and low miles rather an untouched motor and high miles! I don't get it?

·
Registered
798 Posts
7400 miles and a rebuilt motor doesn't make it a new sled again. There's 7400 miles on every other part of the machine too. Thats about the time when one thing starts leading to another.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, true! But I rebuilt like my whole sled, idk why, it didn't need it. bearings/suspension pieces/motor/clutches/seat, etc.... my sled is almost new again! haha, I wish. for a sled, 7400 is not that much IMO. especially for a 2001

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
jesse500 said:
Yes, true! But I rebuilt like my whole sled, idk why, it didn't need it. bearings/suspension pieces/motor/clutches/seat, etc.... my sled is almost new again! haha, I wish. for a sled, 7400 is not that much IMO. especially for a 2001
i agree with you. my sleds got 12500 miles and only one rebuild like 6000 miles ago. its still running strong. the only way i think i could sell mine is by ceeping it the way it is and sell it cheap. most people are afraid of miles.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Don't say the word rebuilt, say it was "gone through"...

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think most people would rather rebuild motors themselves or at the very least by their own shop. There are a lot of people out there that do not know what they are doing when it comes to rebuilding motors. I would probably buy high miles untouched before high miles/rebuilt. Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Because there's to many Shade Tree Mechanics out there. Get paperwork, Have Recipts etc... People like quick adds, couple sentences long, nobody wants a story sled even though its just a rebuild.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Luke, how's life in VB?

Onto the topic. I've got three guys interested in my 10,000+ mile gade with a blown motor. The reason? I've been through the entire sled and taken care of it. If it needs work it's done. Plust all three guys know me personally. Now, I don't like to sell stuff to friends becasue i feel like crap if it breaks soon thereafter. But, I don't see whay someone in the market for a 7,500 mile sled would shy away from a rebuilt motor. Keep trying. Someone's going to see that as a plus eventually. Of course, it's hard to get the $$ back from the rebuild. If you're selling it at a price applicable to a 7,500 mile sled that's one thing. If you're trying to recoup the $$ for the rebuild that may be your problem.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's already price $400-$1000 less than the rest of 2001's for sale around here. I will say gone through, not rebuilt. thanks poo kid lol

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I always ask "what has been done to your sled"? If some tells me they rebuilt the engine and does not give a specific reason even when I ask for it, I will not buy. I want details.

I think people fall into two groups. The el cheapos who only fix the one specific problem and those who go the "extra" mile and replace most every thing.

As an example using your sled. At 7500 miles you have low compression in one cylinder. El cheapo would only replace the rings in the one side. The extra guy would replace all pistons and rings. And maybe take a look at the crank while he had the engine out. Either route you take, you have to explain your logic and hopefully the potential buyer sees your position.

You've had a lot of great advice in your threads on selling you sled. Relax, don't push. Someone will buy your sled before long.

·
Registered
117 Posts
the amount of miles dosnt mean any thing as long as the sled was taken care of and maintained, and as far as people getting scared off by a rebuild , i cant speak for everyone but i would rather take a blown up sled to my mechanic to have it rebuitl, you never know what has really been done to it or who did it , the seller can tell me what ever he wants i wouldnt know any better i cant see inside the engine or crank case.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I agree. I have bought traded for a sled before and the kid told me they rebuilt it. When I got there there was oil all over the inside of the belly pan and on the engine. I was still getting a decent deal so I still took it but with the understanding that I needed to tear the thing down myself. When I did so, it turned out they did it themselves and just stacked the new gaskets on top of the old pieces of gasket instead of cleaning the surfaces. Not to mention that they just replaced the rings when it should have been bored and that one of the top end bearings was missing some needles.

When I bought my current sled it was blown up and all torn apart. Whit it like this I could see exactly what I was working with. That is why whenever someone tells me work was done I always ask who did it. If it was done by a good shop I ask for receipts and if it was done by them I am likely to walk away.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
picman said:
I always ask "what has been done to your sled"? If some tells me they rebuilt the engine and does not give a specific reason even when I ask for it, I will not buy. I want details.

I think people fall into two groups. The el cheapos who only fix the one specific problem and those who go the "extra" mile and replace most every thing.

As an example using your sled. At 7500 miles you have low compression in one cylinder. El cheapo would only replace the rings in the one side. The extra guy would replace all pistons and rings. And maybe take a look at the crank while he had the engine out. Either route you take, you have to explain your logic and hopefully the potential buyer sees your position.

You've had a lot of great advice in your threads on selling you sled. Relax, don't push. Someone will buy your sled before long.
Well my sled blew a crank bearing, rest of the motor was fine, So I replaced both top and bottom end with new OEM parts (a refurbished crank from a local shop) while it was opened up. And yes, the are a lot of cheapos out there, it gives the truthful sellers a bad chance at selling!

It's been for sale since late October! Hopefully it sells soon!

·
Registered
313 Posts
When i see a snowmobile for sale with a fresh rebuild. The first thing i think of was what made it necessary for it to need rebuilt. Was it blown up because the owner didnt take care of it or was it just preventive maintence. So just have proof of who did the work, what was done, and why it was done then maybee it wont scare people away so much.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Low miles are not always a good thing!
http://muskoka.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=232481506

bcole11 said:
When i see a snowmobile for sale with a fresh rebuild. The first thing i think of was what made it necessary for it to need rebuilt. Was it blown up because the owner didnt take care of it or was it just preventive maintence. So just have proof of who did the work, what was done, and why it was done then maybee it wont scare people away so much.
I don't have receipts though, I paid cash for everything, And my dad got all the parts through his work at cost, and no receipts. The only thing I have receipts for is the gasket kit....

·
Registered
564 Posts
I agree, I am always wondering why the engine needed a rebuild, 7500 is a decent amount of miles. When people have 5000 or less miles and they say rebuild I wonder why it needed to be rebuilt?????? I want details on why it needed a rebuild, and what all was done. For instance, Ive seen one of the guys in our group didnt need gaskets until 11,000 miles on his 670. We were already on a trip, so we did some shade tree in the yard, new gaskets at the top and bottom of the jugs, new thermostat and a few other gaskets. It ran fine, but we could see a little wear and tear on the pistons and wrings and so on when we pulled the jugs. So if he were to sell it he wouldve mentioned that we did all the gaskets and seals, but it could use wrings and maybe pistons. With a pic of the compression test, which were actually still at around 120, each, not bad for a 96, 670 with 11 000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I shy away from rebuilt motors unless they have quite a few miles on a rebuild, mostly because i dont want to have to break it in i just want to ride, second if its has alot of miles on the rebuild it was probably done right versus, getting rebuild done then trying to sell makes me wonder how good it was done. At 7500 miles I wouldn't wonder bout a rebuild, but I was looking at a sled with a 1200 miles and almost 1000 on a rebuild, yes i did type the number correctly, why would you rebuuld at 200 miles unless it was an 800 and it wasn't.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dodgetruck2 said:
I shy away from rebuilt motors unless they have quite a few miles on a rebuild, mostly because i dont want to have to break it in i just want to ride, second if its has alot of miles on the rebuild it was probably done right versus, getting rebuild done then trying to sell makes me wonder how good it was done. At 7500 miles I wouldn't wonder bout a rebuild, but I was looking at a sled with a 1200 miles and almost 1000 on a rebuild, yes i did type the number correctly, why would you rebuuld at 200 miles unless it was an 800 and it wasn't.
Some kid offered me $1800 because it has high miles. I though, 7340 miles, sure, it's high, but for a 10 year old snowmobile, that like 700 a year...! which is low

1 - 20 of 37 Posts