Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[xx(] WOW, well heres what happened. SKSPolarisIndy stopped over a little while ago, I decided to fire up my sled cause it hadn't been started for about 2 weeks, and I figured we could ride it around my yard. Pulled off the cover and went to pull it over and SURPRISE! it is seized up. WTF??? Last time I ran it, it ran perfect, then I did a compression test and it had 120 pounds on both cylinders, which is what it always has. Now two weeks later its seized, how does this happen? Anyways, I got some oil soakin in the cylinders right now, hoping it will help. I've never had a seized motor before, what should I do?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried rockin the primary back and forth but it wont budge at all, its soakin now, hopefully I can break it loose with a prybar. Then what? tear it down and inspect? What would have caused this?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have left a sled out and the recoil got water in in and froze up.. has it been colder than freezing?? I bet the clutch could also be the culprit. Im betting some water froze up, becuase you would have to have a no oil condition for that thing to rust up in 2 weeks solid.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I bought a 84 skidoo safari a few months ago and it has the same problem. I suggest using brake fluid for some reason that breaks up the stuff the best. And way once it frees up with im sure it will take the plugs our and pull the the engine over ALOT till it feel smooth again. also do a compression test to be sure.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
no no no marvels mystery oil down the cylinders.this stuff works. and DO NOT by any means DO NOT use a pry bar to break it free. if you cant do it by hand dont force it. youll only snap a ring or worse. let the oil sit over night THEN try it by hand. if you force it your only asking for trouble

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anybody know what would have caused this? The plugs were normal color, but I looked down the cylinders and the pistons were REALLY clean, they are usually black with carbon. Other than the pistons being clean, there is nothing unusual that I have found yet. I wanna know what caused it if I rebuild it so it wont happen again! oh and the sled only has 3500 miles on it [V]

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Take off your pipe and if its white your taken out your motor. usally means youve melted a piston.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the quik posts guys, I probly wont get to really tear into it till the weekend. I'll keep you all posted. I just can't figure it out, it ran so perfect then all of a sudden it seized on its own after sitting for only 2 weeks? [:(] IT JUST DONT MAKE NO SENSE!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
ive seen lots of sleds do that for no reason. usually its just water in the gas and causes the pistons to lock up for no reason. oil and time is all you need

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Bobinwi
[br]ive seen lots of sleds do that for no reason. usually its just water in the gas and causes the pistons to lock up for no reason. oil and time is all you need
I never though of water in the gas. It still has the gas from last season in it, I put sta-bil in it, maybe this had something to do with it [?]

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Maybe dumb question, but did you check your coolant % mix??? Maybe there's too much water in the mix and as causing the water pump to freeze! It is a belt who drive the pump or the crank? Check if the water pump belt is moving in the pulley. As you stated, if the sled was running right 2 weeks ago, the reason is probably the temperature, I don't know for you guys but here is was colder than 2 weeks ago... Hope it helps![;)]

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by STEVE650
[br]Maybe dumb question, but did you check your coolant % mix??? Maybe there's too much water in the mix and as causing the water pump to freeze! It is a belt who drive the pump or the crank? Check if the water pump belt is moving in the pulley. As you stated, if the sled was running right 2 weeks ago, the reason is probably the temperature, I don't know for you guys but here is was colder than 2 weeks ago... Hope it helps![;)]
Its fan-cooled. Should have mentioned that, sorry [:I]

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
[br]
[br]...As bobinwi says, its probably much a water in gas issue than the coolant mixture![;)]
...or ice in the chaincase!!![xx(][:0][B)]
ice in the chain case wouldnt prevent the motor from turning over though...

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Originally posted by SSnthe10s
[br]
[br]
[br]...As bobinwi says, its probably much a water in gas issue than the coolant mixture![;)]
...or ice in the chaincase!!![xx(][:0][B)]
ice in the chain case wouldnt prevent the motor from turning over though...
He meant that sarcastically i hope. [xx(][:0][B)]

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I found out what the problem was. Its kind of hard to explain, these motors dont have a fan belt, they have a similar set-up to a small gas engine with cooling fins built right onto the flywheel. Well what happened was over the past week we had got alot of rain, and somehow water must have gotten into the fan shroud on the side of the motor, and then It got cold and froze. So there was a big chunk of ice that was keeping the flywheel from turning. So I guess it was not seized [:I] .....anyway, I guess I just want to say thanks for all the help guys, I am sorry you had too deal with my stupidity, It wont happen again!

-Yooper

1 - 20 of 26 Posts