Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't ridden anything newer than my '01 Pro-X 440. I used to race/ride a '96 XCR 440SP with the XTRA-10 under it. If I had to RACE through the woods, I think I'd prefer my '96. I'm not talking about a fast trail ride with a bunch of moguls. I'm talking about a flat, tight turning course like the 30 mile Northwoods Challenge races (3 laps on 10 mile lake course) in the '90's - which I used to run. The new stuff looks so tall, but again I've never ridden one.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I rode a buddy's 600 XCR for a few hours, it didn't feel like a real responsive sled, could have used some carbides probably though. I wouldn't hold new sleds being tall against them.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
2004 Polaris Pro-X2 700. Responsive motor, great shocks, great bottom end pull, great turn in, and corner stability. I can drove the edge/Pro-X chassis faster and harder than any other sled I've ridden.

IF not that, I would choose a 1998 Polaris 700XC with shorter front shocks.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Def an older polaris wedge twin. 92 indy 500 is def the fastest sled I ever rode through the woods. But I can rip my 98 xc 700 pretty damn fast through the trees too. I love tight trails like that, where 50 mph through the trees feels faster than 100 on the lake. Good stuff[thumb]

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
My 2000 xcsp 700. Not many sleds can stay with it on a flat twisty trail. Lots of power, even before the twin pipes, low center of gravity and responds well to body english. If you leaned one way that was the way it was heading.

My Fusion is probably just as fast on the trail, but I always feel like I am hardly moving on it. I know in stock form the XC pulles harder off the line then the Fusion did, but now I think that the Fusion would be a sled length or sled and a half faster out of the hole.

·
Registered
654 Posts
driftpounder said:
My 2000 xcsp 700. Not many sleds can stay with it on a flat twisty trail. Lots of power, even before the twin pipes, low center of gravity and responds well to body english. If you leaned one way that was the way it was heading.

My Fusion is probably just as fast on the trail, but I always feel like I am hardly moving on it. I know in stock form the XC pulles harder off the line then the Fusion did, but now I think that the Fusion would be a sled length or sled and a half faster out of the hole.
i have a fusion 900 and a 00 xc 700 deluex kinda the same set up as you lol,i realy liked my zr on the trails low in the corners and good power, but i cant wait to get in to this xc 700 and make a trail sleeper out of it, what pipes are those on the sled look nice ?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Thanks, they are CPI's, not only do they look nice they make the most power increase I could find at the time. 19 hp and something like 10 lbs-ft of torque.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
wedge, gen2, and aggressive are about the best groomed trail sled you can have. they corner so flat and fast with good weight trasfer out of the corner without lifting the skis to where you have to let off the throttle.

as you go through the edge years into prox, fusion to the dragon and now rush platforms. they got a lot taller, simple physics rule that a taller machine lighter in weight will take less effort to tip over.

but the riding style has changed, in the 80's and 90's it was groomed trail woods riding. today its all about big bumps and being able to toss the sled around.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If you know how to lean, a IQ/Any rider foward chassis is amazing for trail racing.

Hwoever I do love an edge for cutting through the trees balls-out. My 500 I could keep up almost as much as me on my 700 with half as much as effort.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Sorry for double post. Bad keyboard maneuver.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would say the Wedge and Gen 2, my ultra is light and so easy to handle in the trails. I can easily pull away from the guys I ride with on groomed trails.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Flat, groomed trails? The first new sled I bought, 1980 John Deere Liqufire was the flattest handling sled to date. The 88 Doo MX was close. 91 Indy 650 w/ Aaen trips and a Polaris "SP" handling kit with Fox shocks was good. For more current sleds, 98 XCR 440.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Any sitting style sled should out-corner an upright on groomed trails.

Any upright should out-ride a sitting sled in the rough terrain.

(assuming both sleds are properly setup)

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
started riding my dads 87 indy 440. riding up in northern mn, never had so much fun ripping a sled from corner to corner, had a buddy on a 03 xc 500 who couldnt keep up with me in grand marais. it was a blast.

but now im all for IQ, even if you hit some stutter bumps in a corner when you are really pushin it the sled doesnt get phased. rider input makes a huge difference, its how far you are willing to push yourself to see what the sled will do, if you wanna take sharp turns on a trail at 60mph.... you better act like you're on a street bike and lean forward and get your body weight to one side of the sled. i swear thats how it feels sometimes.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I would really have to say the wedge chassis. Better in the woods than my Edge or GEN II IMO, if you take away the power difference and track length. Wedges are just so versatile, Polaris really struck a gold mind when they launched that chassis.
I'm surprised noone has offered the F-series sleds as a good candidate for this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts